• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do most cars have green glass???

BLUNT

Yea I think it's the most common among the US cars. I put green in my car except the rear window since it has my college sticker on it and it's almost the only thing that was the same from before I started this whole endeavor.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

My '69 #1666747 was clear. My '73tii is green, as was my late '71.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

of the 70s. The tinted glass started about the time heated backlights becme generally available in the US, in late 1970/early 71.

Heated backlights were theretically avaialble in 1969, but they weren't shipping 'em to the US (I tried to order one and couldn't)--and it took me nearly 20 years to find a heated, clear backlight--and it came from a Eurospec car.

Clear glass is harder to find, so save any you have. It's correct for the early cars.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I think the clear is more rare...the green tint is very common and was standard equipment on these cars in '74 I think. I have had over 40 parts cars in the past 15 years and only about three had the clear glass...all round tails...

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Now thats strange to read...

When I started my addiction, way back in highschool, I had 2 cars - a 1976 Automatic and a 1975 manual. The Auto '76 had all clear glass, and a clear heated rear screen. The manual '75 had all green glass (that which was still left on the car, that is...)

Phoenix is the result of the '75 Manual. I kept all the clear glass, save the windshield which had been shattered in the '76.

A friend of mine just found 2, brand-new-in-the-shrinkwrap clear front windscreens with no tinting... I'm currently in the process of begging for one.

Now that I know this stuff is so rare, i'm going to be scared shitless of breaking it. Thanks a lot guys!!!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

In the UK, most all the '02s I have seen had clear glass. Tinted glass was an option at the time of ordering, but naturally added cost to what was, in the 70s, an expensive car in the UK.

When time came for a replacement, a lot of people chose the clear front with the blue "sundim" strip across the top.

Heated rear windows were the norm in the UK.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I've got at least 2 different shades of 'almost clear'

along with some light green- the '72 is noticably tinted

in compariason to either...

how green is green, eh?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL