• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Control Arm Ball Joint Question

punchesdfw

I'm installing new front-end bushings and ball joints. My question is, how do you remove the 3-rivets from the old ball joints?

Thanks!

Drill them out. Use a bit that's just a little smaller than the hardware they gave so you don't accidentally enlarge the holes in the control arm. One side should have a dimple that will get you started. Drill out the head and use a punch to hammer it out. Takes about 5 minutes per arm. Make sure you're using GOOD grade 8 hardware to fasten the ball joints back to the control arm...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

you'll have to drill them out. start with a small drill bit, maybe 1/8 inch for a pilot hole. then redrill using bigger bit as appropriate. if you have the control arms off the car it's a minor job with a drill press.

if you're doing this under the car, make sure you have sharp bits, eyeglasses and plenty of working space to get good pressure on it while drilling.

it may be a good idea to hit them each with a center punch to make sure your drill bit doesn't wander off the mark.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

They must be drilled out with an electric drill and bit. Be very careful, though. Try not to make the holes to big or else you will ruin the suspension arm. I started out with a small drill bit and gradually moved on to a larger one to aviod this. If the holes are to large, the nuts that hold the new ball joint won't seat on the suspension arm properly, and you will have to get a new one. Take your time and everything will be cool. Good Luck!!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Keep in mind that a US grade 8 in metric hardware is actually called grade 10.8.

I wouldn't recommend using off the shelf nickel plated metric hardware, even if it says "grade 8.8", since that's equivalent to a US grade 5.

Blunt got me a a set of the original studs that are predrilled with the safety wire, and are the correct metric grade 10.8 (carbon finish). Don't wanna take any chances when dealing with steering!

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without