• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any leather experts out there?

yeewiz

I've put so many miles on my "Mark Donohue" steering wheel that:

a) the wheel leather is no longer black. Is there some product or way to get the leather black again that won't come off on my hand the first time I use the wheel?

B) the thumb rests are worn. Can this be repaired or restored?

Thanks for any help!

post-2027-13667572408434_thumb.jpg

post-2027-13667572409328_thumb.jpg

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

I am not an expert but I did stay at a holiday inn last night. Seriously any reputable interior shop could re-wrap that baby for you, I would look for a place that does high end resto's and pay the extra that they will cost. It will be worth it, you know you get what you pay for.

Good Luck and Happy New Year

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

Thanks all! It seems though for the cost of re-wrapping a wheel. you're getting awfully close to the cost of a new one.

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Go to local store, buy a bottle of black shoe "edge dressing" --comes in a bottle with an applicator sponge attached to the cap. Costs a couple of bucks.

When you open it it smells like a marking pen--it's essentially the same stuff, and is used to blacken the edge of one's shoe soles (guys mostly, military types use it by the gallon).

Sit down behind the wheel of your car, spread several layers of newspapers on your lap (it will stain your clothes, seat and skin if you spill it,) and brush it on your steering wheel leather. May take two applications. When it dries, wipe it with a clean cloth--very little will come off.

One application will last a year or so. You can follow up with leather conditioner if you wish.

Been working on my leather-covered wheel (and my old combat boots) for many years now.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you go the dye route, check out Leatherique. Their dyes are highly touted (I have never tried them, but know people who have). Their rejuvenating oil product is terrific as well and far superior to any conditioner I have used. If you go the re-covering route, Alan Gunn (AGLA) does terrific work. He has redone a couple of Alpina wheels for me and they are better than new. He will also do custon stitching (I used green/blue, the Alpina colors on the wheel for my B90.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.