• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on Bill W (Friday PM Updated)

MikeinNC

Just spoke with Ruth. Bill's surgery took longer than expected because of the extensive damage that had occurred over time. He is in recovery now but she hasn't yet spoken to him. Dr indicated he may have a little more pain and a longer recovery time because of the damage.

Hopefully he will have his computer on once he recovers and can see your emails and posts.

Spoke with Bill this afternoon (Friday) The Drs had him up and about today (SOP for hip replacement) He is in quite a bit of pain and the Drs are going to be keeping him several days longer to monitor his progress This is primarily due to the extra repairs they had to make. (sounds like going into an 02 and discovering more rust eh?)

Bill said he really appreciates all the kind thoughts and words of encouragement.

post-484-13667572477769_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for the update on Bill...wishing him the best!

jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

It's time to get an auto lift my friend...no more crawling under the '02! :-) Get well!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

One of the first things I did when I got home last night was check this message board, I know I have the sickness, 2002 sickness that is.

Thanks for the words of encourgment. You are a wonderful family to be a part of.

As Mike indicated, the doc found much damage in my hip from a child hood bone disease called Legg Calve Perthes. He classified my operation as a hip "reconstruction" not a hip "replacement" Surgery took twice as long and recovery will also take longer.

The wife is really going above and beyond in taking care of me. Being laid up like this is difficult for me as it would be for most of you. I don't think many of us are lay around type guys.

So patience is being learned for the next few months.

Edit: The reconstruction is more drastitc and involved than the normal hip replacement. He had to actually make room in the skeletal structure for the replacement prosthesis and involved more soft tissue and muscle work. Yeah, just like finding more rust in a 2002.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

He classified my operation as a hip "reconstruction" not a hip "replacement". Surgery took twice as long and recovery will also take longer.

So patience is being learned for the next few months.

Bill,

Happy New Year and glad to hear you are doing well. I too went in for total shoulder replacement in May 2006 and was relieved when the doctor only reconstructed rather than replaced. The replacement hardware only lasts ~25 years. At 26 (then) I was very happy to learn that my reconstruction was permanent rather than the certainty of at least one (if technology advances) but the possibility of two or even three more hardware upgrades.

Glad to hear you are doing well. I looked forward to doing things like shampooing in the shower, putting on deodorant under both arms, tucking in a shirt, etc. I can only imagine what you are going through!

Best of luck in the new year with your new hip!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76