• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replaced water pump, car idles better, does this make sense?

jerry

my daily driver has been idling very rough these past couple of weeks. it was one of those things i was gonna take care of eventually. i attributed it to a minor overheating incident i had last summer. i thought perhaps i may have warped the head alittle. the compression on Nos. 2&3 were about 10-15psi less than 1&4 if i remember correctly.

anyhow, i knew i had a water leak somewhere and finally traced it to the bottom hole in the water pump.

inspection of the water pump indicated severe corrosion of the impeller and what looks like foreign object damage (FOD) on the adjacent shroud. this car sat for a couple years i was told by the PO. i'm attributing the FOD to corrosion products.

2 questions:

a) would lack of sufficient cooling explain the rough idle

B) what's the best way to flush the cooling system? filling it at the cap and pulling the bottom rubber hose doesn't seem like it would get the deep recesses.

btw, i replaced the radiator with one i had boiled at a shop. the other radiator is gonna get a new core.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Well I could swear mine runs better when I wash it and lube the door latches.

Honestly it would take some not normal circumstances like freezing weather and the coolant wasnt circulating so the carb wasnt warm but it wasnt showing hot on the gage. Odds are a plug wire got pushed in the dist cap, you fliked the throttle and it hit the stop a little different, the oil got topped off and it sounds smoother, battery or ground got connected better. Just keep up the normal maintainance and look for stuff like loose carb and intake bolts, cracked vacuum hoses, worn or stuck throttle linkage. Things that cause eratic running. You'll probably find something that needs attention.

Luther

with a lot of resistance due to trashed bearings, you would free up the engine from working hard to make the pump turn.

But I think your car is happy you replaced the pump and is thanking you by idling better.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam