• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 320i front brake upgrade

mhinsle

I have read the faq and even asked a question on here before about this but I am still in the dark as what parts I would need to make this work. First, my car is a 71 non-tii and the donor car is a 1980 or 1981, it isn't clear, but definitely a 320i.

The brakes I took off the car have vented rotors and the spindle and hubs and rotors for that matter dont look like everyone else's pictures. Help me determine what exactly I have so I can determine what will make it fit. I am trying to collect all the parts and put them on the 71 2002 in one shot.

Thank you in advance, I know this topic is discussed a lot.

post-1808-13667572523358_thumb.jpg

post-1808-13667572524147_thumb.jpg

post-1808-13667572524997_thumb.jpg

post-1808-13667572525755_thumb.jpg

Didn't know you could gank the spindles too and do it that way. I thought the E21 caliper was a single piston design and does not have the correct spacing for the mid 80s Volvo 4 pot calipers ( it may not, someone jump in if they know for sure ).

The normal way is to use a 81 to 83 320i hub that slips right on to your stock spindle, no mods needed. then the vented rotors that you have and the mid 80 volvo 4 pot calipers. A washer is needed between the caliper and spindle to center the caliper properly. All straight bolt on that way.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

IF the bearings from the hub you pulled off the 320i fit correctly onto your non-tii spindles then you have the right hubs. IF they are too big then you probably have earlier hubs than you think and these would be for tii spindles. your rotors look like the 1977 320i (only year, as i understand it) vented rotors.

you do NOT use the 320i spindles you've shown.

find a mid-80s Volvo 240DL for the calipers.

looking at your photos again. those 320i spindles look to be the same size as 2002tii spindles. me thinks you may have pulled these parts off an earlier car, likely a 1977 year. keep the rotors. at least you can use them with your non-tii conversion.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Okay Im with you all so far. I am sure the car is an 1980 or a 1981. Possible the previous owner did an upgrade to 77 vented rotors?? So then I treat it like a 77, ie I need to get tii struts and the which calipers are needed for that.

The rotors appear to one piece the hubs, the rotors are together not serperable like I see others.

Here is a picture of the caliper from the donor car. All the parts are from the same car, 80 or 81 320i. I have the whole car so that is why I am not sure what I need and what I dont.

Again thanks for the fast responses. I appreciate the help.

post-1808-13667572526622_thumb.jpg

post-1808-13667572527635_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I may be possible that the PO replaced the stock rotors, hubs and calipers with a set from a euro 323i. the hubs would then fit the non Tii spindles. they really ground some metal off the calipers to clear the wheels, didn't they?

So then I could use these parts but not the calipers. these are single brake lines. What calipers would I want to get then?

I guess I will do everything else first and then leave for last so I can take my 2002 apart and leave it awhile while I test and try and fit this stuff.

Boy what a hassle this front brake upgrade has been. If it wasn't confusing enough already this car is driving me nuts.

Any other ideas please let me know what you all think. I am new to the 2002 and BMW for that matter so all this is new information. This website sure is helpful and useful.

Thanks a lot for all your input, I will try to update in a few weeks with what actually happened with it all.

Looking at your very first picture they appear that they are the ones that separate, see the little allen head, take that and those lugs bolts out and give the center a whack with a big friggin hammer, walla ( or is it viola ) two pieces, a hub and a rotor.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

I'm sorry you are getting so much guessing in response to your questions. All E21 rotors fit either hub. The front hubs and struts differ. For US cars, the 77-79 cars have big tii-sized spindles and the 80-83 cars have the small spindles. A lot of non-US cars were brought here as self-imports and they have the big spindles.

Regardless which hubs you have you can use the rotors. Looking at your pictures, the rotor you show looks like it has the kind of ridge around the outer edge which shows when there is a lot of where, so you should measure and make sure they are up to spec. Factory manual says minimum thickness should be 21mm.

To see which E21 hubs you have, just try one on your car. It will either fit or be noticeably too loose.

For the calipers, the problem with the E21 calipers is that they only have a single brake line to each caliper where your '71 car has 2 brake lines. This is the reason that the Volvo calipers are recommended, since you don't have to switch master cylinders and brake lines.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport