• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Shaft “Play” – what’s acceptable?

::::

Hello, I picked up a nice looking used vacuum advance distributor that I’d like to swap out for my PO supplied 008 tii unit with mechanical advance. [i’m running a stock setup w/a 32/36, but I don’t think the tii distributor is really necessary.]

Question: the distributor has about a 1/16” or so of vertical up and down movement. Is this a sign of impending doom, is this OK or should I look for another spare? I do have a second really cruddy one in the “untested parts” bin that has no visible movement. – Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Up/down (Axial) play of that extent should be fine. You figure as it rotates, the gears will pull it down into place.

Side to side (radial) play can give you fits in trying to tune the car. Every once in a while it will miss. And if you are trying to smog check the car this is bad. One miss means no spark/no combustion/raw fuel being pushed through the exhaust. That means high HCs and a failure by the referee station that you waited three weeks to get an appointment at.

Sorry. that was my story years ago.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

are still available from Bosch. I successfully replaced those on my dizzy some years ago by making a simple puller out of a long bolt and a ground down washer or two...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You will find that you can shim the shaft near the drive cog to reduce play up and down. Use the shims from your old distributor.

'73 BMW 2002Tii,'89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo,'56 Renault 4CV with 16 TS motor, 

'76 BMW R90S, '68 BMW R60/2, '51 BMW R51/3, '38 BMW R71

Ipswich, Australia.