• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $12,800 1600....

florida1600

As advertised in today's Wall Street Journal.

http://www.astonmartin-lotus.com/inventory/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=503

- wrong hubcaps (should be frosted, not polished) and taillights for a 69 (should be red center)

- seats were redone at some point - wondering why no headreats as the other details jibe with a 1600 that would have headrests.

- for the money, you'd think they could detail under the hood and in the trunk

- Sure it's a five speed?

- From the VIN 1568310, not sure if it's one of the last long-neck diff cars or one of the early short-neck diff cars.

- florida ain't "sand beige", but I wouldn't expect these punters to know that.

- Hard to tell the true condition of the body from the pics.

If your life is dull, perhaps your car is too new and you're not driving far enough...

1969 1600 florida (Moonglow)

That is the retail price. Looks to be nice, but Sub-$10 IMHO, especially for a 1600-2.

I wouldn't buy it on the principle that it has a cd changer mounted in the trunk, ruins it for me.

Ben

I think 1600-2's are becoming increasingly sought after, in Europe ay any rate. I'd value them just below a similar condition Tii over here. That CD player is certainly a crap addition though.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I'm not complaining about the price, because it justifies the amount of my car's stated value policy. I think the price is interesting considering some of the heaps on ebay recently. The same site has a tii touring with the optional sport seats offered at 22K.

I could see 10K as a starting offer for a car like this if all the details were perfect and the body and paint are flawless. As is, I'd start at around 7-7.5K as a ballpark having not seen the car and seeing some incongruities in the pics.

It's a good example of the color florida with tobacco upholstery and "oatmeal" grey carpet. Probably one of 5 or 6 surviving florida cars in the US.

If your life is dull, perhaps your car is too new and you're not driving far enough...

wrong outside mirror; later dash (has ribs on the tray, not fitted until mid-'69). Wrong seat belts (metal loop style belts are 70-71), missing headrests (all USA 69s had headrests); air cleaner repainted--should be grey on a '69, and clips are plated, not painted); 15" wipers (should be 13"). For those $$$ you'd expect authenticity!

Nice color, though--wouldn't turn it down if it showed up in my driveway someday with an orphan tag on it...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As the previous owner of the car in question and a lurker, it's time to chime in. '69 was a tranistional year, according to the info in the R&T owners survey article, items like headrests were added mid '69 calender year. The low back seats were original when I go the car and redone-done with German vinyl retaining the original leather back pockets. I personally converted to the five speed. It had the factory "upper" brake m/c, so I only had to change the lower pedal box for the clutch m/c. The diff as I remember and my old photos confirm was short-neck with the oil filled half-shafts. The five-speed, as on a 2002, adds to the high-speed drivability and fuel economy. The dash was the type seen in the current photos as I had capped it, but as I understand current owner had it redone as per original. The CD-changer, mirrors, 15" wipers, and hubcaps were there when I purchased the car as was the black air-cleaner, am I to understand my '68 should have a gray aircleaner? Florida (green) is and was the original color. The underbody is perfect. The google link to the old BMW advertising video's has a very similar Flroida green 1600 with s/r in euro trim. Thank you

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2459038788059434305&q=bmw+ad&hl=en

PS - I added the Klipan ring belts; I like them!

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

Someone from Poland posted below asking for someone in the boston area to do a car inspection... I replied and said yes. Wonder if this is the car he was talking about??? Can't think of any other reason why someone in Poland would want to buy any old heap out of new england and ship it over to Poland....

If it turns out to be this car I'll put up TONS of good pics... Also on that note what should I be looking for on a 1600-2? I know about rust, etc. but I'm no historian... the things you guys talk about... wrong mirrors, speedo has crosshairs, tail lights... I would NEVER know this stuff... My knowlege is limited to RUST and hacking up square tail light cars for the most part.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I could see 10K as a starting offer for a car like this if all the details were perfect and the body and paint are flawless. As is, I'd start at around 7-7.5K as a ballpark having not seen the car and seeing some incongruities in the pics.

Good luck finding a prefectly original car with perfect body and "flawless" paint for $10k

Lots of big and little details change on the 1600s until they were dropped from the US market.

Your ex-car is one like mine - second series 69 with the 8-bolt crankshaft, short neck and 4-piston calipers. The 5-speed is pretty much a direct swap on those cars if you change out the pedal box to accomodate the hydraulic clutch (e21 gearbox). Also, much easier to upgrade the brakes. They're about 600 units apart VIN-wise. I'm 1568930. The car presents well and it's great to see a florida that hasn't been messed with or resprayed in some other color. I think the sellers could detail it better and take better pictures - especially if they're used to dealing with high $ stuff. Since I've been around 1600's since I was a kid, I tend to analyze the details of what's on what car. Personally, I like many of the traits of the 1600 better than the 2002.

Isn't that touring the same one that was on ebay a couple of years ago? Seems like the pics are the same from that auction. Car was located in CA if memory serves correctly. Anyone know the car?

Sam Adams

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

Yes, I'll admit that it's like trying to find a stripper that doesn't have plastic boobs.

Sorry I didn't define my parameters since it's the internet and all.

Several clean early 1600s seemed to have popped up recently. This one, one in CT, and some resto candidates on both coasts. So, here goes, in my opinion.

"Flawless paint": no ripples in the sheet metal that require a repaint, no bodged body work or overly goobered up trim; original paint that might be faded, but is still there. In short, something that can come up nice with proper detailing or is a good solid base for my painter.

"Perfect": nothing that I can't undo or fix right with my 1600 parts stash. No 1600s that have 2002 engine transplants - big no-no in my book. No blown up mechanicals, but OK if some freshening is needed to make perfect. Mechanical updates (i.e., tii struts, front brakes, 2002 sway bars, turbo compliance bushings, 2002 trannies) can help upgrade some of the 1600's weak points, and are good things.

Yes, my life is an auto auction and my ancestors were cheap-ass, hard-headed hillbillys from western Marylalnd. I'll assess the situation, figure my position, and dicker around to get the price I want, if the car is what I want.

The question is:

What did you trade it in on at a Lotus/AM dealership? :-D

It looks good, the carpet is multipiece, was this standard in 1602's? Also the mylar boards from the trunk are missing... pretty little car otherwise. It was on eBay mid last year from memory.

Cheers,

Todd

toddsig05.jpg