• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 72 turbo rat rod project - Updated 6-28-07

PSloan

What do I do with my tail panel???  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do I do with my tail panel???

• Replace it!!!
    • Weld in ned bits and pieces and bondo it
    • Buy a new car and start over
    • Sand off all the rust and drive it - holes, dents and all :)
    • Fiberglass

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, it would still do me some good. I really need the passengers side corner all the way back to the gas tank. i think the car was hit in the back and repaired poorly so it rusted inside the bondo.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 3 weeks later...

Last night i picked up a head to blow up while tuning. It came off of a 318i with a hole in the block the size of a fist. I also sourced alot of the parts i need. I got a 318i fuel rail and alternator finally as well as a few tbs to experiment with. I also got 2 variable position throttle position sensors from the 525i that are pretty rare. Both brand new. I haven't gotten to do any more body work but ill finish getting it down to bare metal soon. I'm going to run a 320i radiator with an electric fan for now. The only thing i need now is the adapter plate from 02 again and i need to get my edis crap mounted. I'm getting pretty close to getting my engine tuned.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been doing some more sanding lately. The passenger's side quarter panel is perfect (almost). I've got it sanded down to bare metal and primed. The driver's side has obviously been hit and will need to be hammered out. someone drilled some holes to pull out the damage and just bondoe'd them in. It's definately salvagable but it isn't pretty right now. The good news it the hard work is over. The only thing left to get down to bare metal are my 2 doors and whatever is included in the nose area. I'm going to get faq fiberglass fenders and turbo flares in addition to the air dam. Possibly even the fiberglass rear bumper. Every pound is going to count on this car. I've also got 2 turbo manifolds (on the way) one is a bae and the other a callaway. The callaway has a port for an external wastegate and a t4 flange - god knows what the BAE has. I paid for it like 8 mos ago and it hasn't been shipped yet. Soon I'll start the hammering\blocking process. I've also decided that I'm going to build something and electrolyticly remove the rust from the bottom 2 feet of the car. It would be really hard to do the whole car So I'm going to focus on what's structural.

post-635-13667577221276_thumb.jpg

post-635-13667577222042_thumb.jpg

post-635-13667577222846_thumb.jpg

post-635-13667577223597_thumb.jpg

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...