• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 2002 ownership begins with an adventure!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everybody, I should introduce myself. I'm a long time BMW enthusiast from the Chicagoland area. I've owned a few e28's, e23's and an e12 and currently drive an 87 535is. Just recently I sold an e28 and got this crazy idea to take the money and buy this 2002 from Dan Quigley in SanDiego and drive it all the way home.

CIMG0067.jpg

Here's the link my advnture story on mye28.com...

http://mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=27584

Upon driving the 2002 for the first time I was a little thrown off with the pedals since they're mounted on the floor. Once I got over that, I got really comfortable in the car.

There's something about these little cars that is absolutely priceless. Shure they're drafty (in my case windy) and in many cases worn, but there's this feeling of openess and space inside of them that makes you forget you're in a little car.

It was a hell of a trip and I can't wait to do it again. I'd also like to send thanks to Dan, he was an awesome seller. So there's my introduction! I'll probably need help along the way.

Also, if there's any of you in Wheaton, IL, i'm having some people over Saturday the 6th at around noon to work on some cars and drink some beers, so let me know and i'll give you directions!

Crazy idea?

Nah.

If you had taken the money to buy another 5, now ~that~ would have been crazy.

One board member has said that these are classics that you can drive every day. Very true. Fun little cars, but practical as all get out.

Welcome!

(and don't mind the crazy relatives...it was the holidays, we had to let them out.)

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, seems like a good bunch here. It's interesting to see the different people that different cars attract... Or are the people attracting the cars? I don't know.

(and don't mind the crazy relatives...it was the holidays, we had to let them out.)

I couldn't make heads or tails of this... Sorry if I missed something.

Thanks for the replies, seems like a good bunch here. It's interesting to see the different people that different cars attract... Or are the people attracting the cars? I don't know.

I couldn't make heads or tails of this... Sorry if I missed something.

Welcome to the gang....sorry but SteveJ is one of the crazies that we let out. He is harmless.. he may be referring to the interfamily quibbling found in various posts on the board. These cars do seem to attract some great people. Quite a variety of personalities, but overall, great people.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Guest Anonymous

Wheaton is about an hour from NW indiana, depending on where you are. I go to school at Purdue in W.Lafayette, which takes me about two and a half on a normal day.

The car is great. It was owned by one of Danny Quigley's customers and maintained by Danny, so I even got maintinence records leading a few years back with the car.

It's had it all done to it...

-320i wheels and new p400 tires

-Eibach lowering springs

-Bilstein Shocks

-320i 5 speed

-tii intake manifold and headers

-Turbo radiator

-Frigid r134 AC

-Nice stereo with 10 disc changer

-Good paint

In the near fututre I'm going to...

-Replace the rear windscreen that jumped ship

-Replace the thermostat that is stuck open

-Replace the heater core

-Replace the headliner (any ideas?)

-Replace or scrub the carpet

-Shop for 320is seats

-Replace the noisy vent window seals

-Sell the thermal reactor and smog equipment

-Drive the car like crazy!

Welcome to the board. Always nice to see someone else embarking on a 2002 adventure.

For a headliner, the stock one is still available and the material is not that expensive (last headliner I purchased was around $130 from the dealer). While that back window is out you may want to consider getting it done. I'd remove/replace the front window seal as well.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Patrick, welcome to the world of '02s. I wish I would have seen your post earlier today. With the great weather we had today, I took out my '73 Turkis Tii out from storage. I also drove my care solo from LA back to Chicago in March 2002. I live in Plainfield and work in Bolingbrook so I'm not too far from Wheaton. Maybe we'll cross paths at a Windy City event.

Welcome to the board!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Btw, I also have two e28s. Cinnabar Red '87 535is and a '85 535 parts car with good running gear.

Regards,

Duane

picking up a solid west coast car to start with...........

One suggestion - from the photos, it looks like the CA blue plates that are on the car were almost certainly the original plates assigned to the car when it was sold new (CA started the gold over blue plate series in late 68/early 69 with 000 AAA, ran out of 6 digit plates around 1980, then went to 7 digit plates starting with 0 AAA 000). For those concerned with such esoterica, it's pretty easy to tell whether a CA registered car is still bearing its original plates by matching the car's model year to where the plates fall in the issuing sequence and looking at the last annual sticker issued, thus verifying a vehicle's "provenance" as having been sold new and spending its life up to "x" date on the west coast.

If you haven't already turned in the plates and title to your local DMV, it might be a good idea to make a color copy of the CA title & remove the rear plate with its registration stickers, then tell your DMV office that the rear plate got "lost or stolen" on the way east when you transfer title and register it. Storing the plates and copy of the title away with the car's records will provide positive proof that the car was a CA "blue plate" original.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Guest Anonymous

good point! I'm shure there's some value to those plates, somone from mye28.com wants them in the worst way. I almost agreed to give them to him, but hesitated. Thank goodness.