• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box rebuild

bimmer2k2

There is a FAQ on how to do this. I used weather stripping or HVAC foam found in rolls at Home Depot. It's about 1/4" thick and has an adhesive side. You're talking about the flappers right?

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

as winston said, there is a good write-up on this subject in the reference section. it's all spelled out.

you can get rubber grommets that will work for the heaterbox inlet tubes and are considerably less expensive than the OEM ones. i added black sticky stuff around the perimeter for good measure.

also, save that brass valve, it can be refurbished by simply cleaning it up. careful with the two machine screws that hold it together. soak it in oil first and treat them with kid-gloves but they WILL unscrew. it all depends on how much moisture got to them. two rubber gaskets are all that's needed to seal them up. you'll find them in a well-stocked hardware store in the plumbing section.

i used anti-seize when reinstalling the little machine screws (after cleaning them up of course) and then put some more of that sticky black stuff on the head to seal it against moisture so that the next guy down the road will have a much easier time opening it up 30 years from now (that's a hope, btw).

i used graphite powder to lube the cables. i was afraid oil might attract dirt and bind up eventually.

oh yea, if your hardware store is well stocked, look for some flat rivet-like screws (there's a male and female side) and they're nice because they don't need to be drilled out 'the next time'. i had to file a little off the female side so that they would not sit too proud of the surface.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Anyone have suggestions for a source for heater box rebuild hardware? One item really needed is replacement foam for the damper flaps.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

Now that I think about it I bought a bag of bushings & rubber O-rings from McMaster Carr when I did my heaterbox a while back. Bags were minimum quanities of 50 or 100 pieces. email me if you are interested and I'll put a few sets in the mail to you for a small donation to the FAQ. You decide the donation - email your address if you are interested and I'll put them in the mail tomorrow morning.

thomasjwinston at yahoo dot com

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76