• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possibly acquiring another 2002

ryanOC

So I might be able to get my hands on a 1971 Colorado (possibly Inka) Automatic car that has been owned by my father's friend for many many years (might be original owner).

It is currently in the hands of his nephew, I believe, but I talked to owner a couple weeks ago about it and conveyed my interest, so I'll be getting pics/info sometime soon.

Here's the deal...

I'm kind of tired of my car. Stop! No, I'm not tired of 2002s on any level, but my car in particular has some issues I just want to avoid.

1) Rust issues - needs floor pan work and some body work, and a decent paint job.

2) Alignment issues - refreshed front suspension recently, put on new(er) wheels and tires, and had it professionally aligned. The car still pulls to the right, and I am fuggin tired of dealing with it especially since it's my daily driver. Alignment person told me that it could not be aligned exactly because the castor is off on the car for some reason (possible minor front collision?)

3) Seats - I cut out the passenger side stock seat risers in preparation of putting in some e30 recaro sports. I think it has now been over a year that I've been driving without a passenger seat. Too much work to get involved with and not enough free time to do it at this point.

4) I don't want a stock 2002. I want to do the full on Turbo Flares/Air Dam/Spoiler/etc. on my car.

5) Squarie - tired of ugly bumpers. I don't mind the square lights at all, by the way.

What I'm thinking of doing:

A)

-Acquire aforementioned 1971 Automatic 2002

-Swap in my rebuilt engine and the 4speed tranny, pedal box, instrument cluster (if possible)

B)

-Acquire aforementioned 1971 Automatic 2002

-Strip it down completely for body work (flares/etc) and paint

-Paint car for cheap, but not a cheap paint job (have access to tools and paint booth, and advice/help from professional body repair/paint person)

-Swap in my rebuilt engine and 4spd tranny

-Drive my '74 around as I have been in the mean time

Also, would it be sacreligious to do that to an automatic car? Are they more valuable or something, or better off left stock?

Because I will not own and drive an automatic 2002.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

1969 2002 Automatic "Pumpkin"

Well, no matter if you buy another one or not, there is work to be done. It sounds to me like you really don't have that much work to do on your existing car to get it more where you want it. If you buy the other one and swap the motor, tranny, and whatever else that will probably take up more of your time and energy. So, personally, I think you should try to budget a few hours here and there to get your existing car done.

As for the automatic: maybe the engine's good and you don't need to put in another one. You may as well change it to a manual tranny, a five speed if you can afford it. Heck, I would buy the automatic and make that the project. Cut the fenders to put the flares, upgrade the heck out of it....it won't matter value wise, because automatics are cheap and less desirable.

Bottom line is, I think you should make one a project car that you can take your time on and do right, while you still have another one to drive (even if it ain't perfect, it's better than no 02).

Good Luck,

Ben '71 verona

that can happen if (1) you reassembled the washers and spacers at the top of the front strut incorrectly and/or (2) the upper strut bearing is tired, worn or rusty...

Are you sure you reassembled the strut washers/spacers in the correct order, and your strut bearings were in good shape?

mike

PS--Automatics make good 5 speed conversion material due to their wider tranny tunnels...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

owner car in very clean/original condition (especially with very good or better original paint), it'd be a pity to whack it up to make a fat-fender pseudo-racer out of it - there just aren't that many nice original cars left.

Don't see any issues with swapping in a 5 speed or doing other, minor upgrades, especially if you put all the original parts in a box and save 'em rather than throw everything out.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

you said up front that you lack time to complete your current car and you now want to start on a new seemingly bigger project.

there's a very real possibility that if you don't FINISH your current project, you probably won't finish your next project. you need to overcome your boredom with it and work it out a piece at a time. otherwise it will end up in someone else's hands and just as likely never see the light of day again (parted out/neglected to death).

i agree with an earlier comment regarding original cars. other than swapping trannies out, modding an original 'roundie' should be taken under great advisement. leave the modding to the squaries or the previously modded survivors.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

yeah those responses were pretty much what i expected

the car was first owned by an older man, that then gave to his son, and from that son now to a relative of him where it's being stored outside under a cover or some kind

it's pretty much all original i believe

previous owner did some top end work at some point before it was parked and stored

if i can acquire the car for a price i could afford to keep it and at the same time restore/mod the squarie, i'll have to go for it

if the price is out of my range i'll have to.......hmmmmm....... try and save up! haha

oh and regarding ditching my car, it's not a project per se, because it's my daily driver, and i've been slapping new parts and putting hours into it since i bought the car, but one gets tired of alignment issues and some other annoyances. that's all.

1969 2002 Automatic "Pumpkin"