• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking Advice on Driving Lights

InkaSteve

I was referring to the charming children washing the car....future detail experts.

Looks like Hueneme. Here is my car and Jon Nunez's at Hueneme. Lousy cellphone pic.

Ahh, those compact car washers. That's my son and his friend Isaac. They're local, and did not come with the car from The Neatherlands.

The other pic is from the port outside Brussels, just starting the trip over here. Rob Torres snapped some pics of it at Port Hueneme. Rob and Jaime were there picking up another touring when he saw mine.....

T

Jon_uk... here are some more views of Jan's Touring.

Thanks for the pics Steve, they're great! My inka 02 is due back from the bodyshop next week - at the last minute I decided against having the Kamei spoiler added to the front and have instead opted for the alpina look. Has anyone used the spoiler for sale in the store? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here's what I've experienced with driving lights, your mileage may very.

Most good driving lights come in 3 verities of lenses,

FOG LAMP this lens has a very sharp top cut off pattern and is best mounted under the bumper to provide a wide defused pattern to light the road right in front of the car ( these have a very limited down the road range) with out the fog and or snow reflecting the light back into your eyes.

DRIVING LIGHTS these lights project the light much further down the road and still provide enough spread to give good light to the sides of the road.

PENCIL BEAMS these lights have a tightly focused beam used to get the light as far down the road as possible, A super Oscar Pencil beam will put light almost 10,000 feet down the road with a 55 watt bulb.

Fog lights on most cars should be mounted as pairs and tilted toward the curb 15 to 30' to give a good light to the shoulders and right in front of the car. Mounting one driving and one pencil beam will give you the best long range lighting, These should be mounted on top of the bumper or slightly higher ( the center line of the lens at hood height will give the best usable light) the pencil beam should be mounted on the drivers side due to its small beam spread.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

I'm partial to the Cibie driving lights I installed. I think they are "I-95" or somesuch model....

I had an "L" bracket welded to each bumper support for mounting.

The lights are wired via a relay and are powered either through the high beam or not (ie - they come on when the high beams illuminate or they don't)

khill_2002.jpg

See the enclosed pic or the one on my signature...

Kevin

Seattle

1970 2800CS - 1985 728i - 2001 E38

I'm partial to the Cibie driving lights I installed. I think they are "I-95" or somesuch model....

I had an "L" bracket welded to each bumper support for mounting.

The lights are wired via a relay and are powered either through the high beam or not (ie - they come on when the high beams illuminate or they don't)

khill_2002.jpg

See the enclosed pic or the one on my signature...

im kind of a round light guy but that is one really nice clean car you have there

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

A super Oscar Pencil beam will put light almost 10,000 feet down the road with a 55 watt bulb.

Are you sure about this? Given that a mile is 5,280 feet... That seems a little extreme. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything, but thats just an insane mount of light...

My contribution (and a lot of people don't really like this look) "hidden" driving lamps. No ugly bumper holes!

phoenix5_small.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

JuliusNewlook033106%20021.jpg

And here is Orange Julius as he looks today (kinda). The E-Code Clear Bosch lamps are mounted on angle iron brackets fitted to the '73 only front bumper brackets. The drilled bumper section was replaced with a VCG original section.

I've since replaced the wink mirror with a stock unit and deleted the sunroof wind deflector.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com