• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 Spark Plug Dilema

I just bought my 4th 1976 02 and have encountered an odd problem. The #2 spark plug will not tighten far enough to seat in the head. The threads on the plug are good and the head is not cross threaded as far as I can tell. The plug screws in several turns easily by hand and tightens several turns with a ratchet but lacks about 1/8-1/4" going in as far as the others. There are no obstructions in the plug's path. I don't think a heli coil would cause this nor do I belive one is in place. Car runs okay but does have a slight skip. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

do the other 3 sparkplugs seat easily when hand tightened and only need a ratchet/torque wrench to finish up?

are you unable to hand tighten this particular spark plug to the same extent?

is your idle abit rough from what you are used to?

if yes, then it sounds like exactly like what has happened to me. about a month or so ago i got the sinking feeling when installing the No.3 plug into my daily driver that it just wasn't seated properly. i don't dare torque it down because i think/know that it's now cross-threaded.

i bought a thread insert repair kit from Kragen's yesterday. i'm afraid it will require removal of the head to actually do it right and prevent metal filings from getting into the cylinder.

the kit was about $15 and comes with its own tap and a couple of inserts. not really wanting to use some no-name insert repair kit, i tried to obtain a 'heli-coil' brand kit from NAPA, but they did not have a 14mm size, so it appears i'm gonna use the Kragen kit afterall.

if there's an alternate solution available, please post.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The others turn freely until they seat on the head. This one turns freely but for a shorter amount of time and it won't reach the head. It doesn't feel cross threaded. I bought the car this week and have been tuning it up. I am not sure if te plug is causing the small skip or not. I use a shop vac with heater/fuel hose extensions to vacuum out cylinders when I fear something has dropped into one. The suction is great when the 1 1/2" input is cut down to 5/8".

More than likely at some point in the past the plug either was not put in all the way or backed off and now carbon has built up in the threads. Get a thread chaser from the local parts place or go to a good machine shop like T-Hoff their in Raleigh (the manager Doug Cain is a great guy and a BMW nut, tell him I sent you) and have them chase it for your.

I am off Penny Road just east of you. Give me a shout some time or come on by if I can be of help. We have a fairly active 02 group here in NC

Mike Pugh

851-3954

Thanks Mike. I just bought this car (silver CA car on craigslist a couple weeks ago) and have a few bugs to work out before I can get it to T. Hoff but they did all the machine work on my Bugeye Sprite and I was very pleased. I also need to have a head redone on my other 02 (brown NC car off craigslist) due to bad valve guides that I will probably take to them as well. I'll give you a call sometime.

Brad Sulecki

740-2881