• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rotary 2002!!!

sebandwhit

I have a 1969 bmw 2002 that I am restoring. I want to swap out the old m10 bmw engine for a 13b twin turbo. I cant seen to find any pictures of bmw rotary swaps anywhere. Has this been done with a 13b twin turbo? Any info I can get would be great! I think it's possible but I just have to figure out if the transmission will fit and figure out the driveshaft situation.

68' 2002 (Project)

I entertained this idea a while ago, except I was thinking of fitting it into a 1972 MGB GT.

If I recall, one of the major issues was oil cooling... As well as the overall width of the engine itself. Of course, there's a lot more room in the nose of an '02 than in a BGT, so maybe you won't have that issue...

Transmission is going to be a tricky one though. If i recall, RX-7 trannies are very wide.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Well I like this motor because it's light, small, and they make from 250-280hp in stock form. Ive considered many other bmw engine swaps and cant decide... especially when I dont have the $5000 to spend on an s14 engine that has 150k miles on it! They are expensive! I want a decent amount of hp from whatever I use next! Im open to suggestions.

68' 2002 (Project)

I have decided on the M20 stroker. It is a common swap and the bugs have been worked out by others. You can buy motor mounts etc. The M20 isn't known for large bhp withou a turbo/supercharger however you can get the torque #'s up pretty high. From what I have read I am going to be looking at about 215 bhp and torque in the 250-260 ft/lbs range with a nice smooth torque curve all the way up.

My research has me looking at about $3500 for the engine in the car running. That is with me doing the majority of the work myself. There is a good write up on building the engine at strictlyeta.net.

As I said on the general board I have always been intrigued with the rotary swap and I would be interested to see one done. You might want to google pineapple racing and check out some of their stuff.

Good Luck and welcome.

If you ever need anything give me a buzz.

Justin

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

Vinz,

What are you looking for. E mail me.

Justin

just waiting for my luck and see if somebody wants to just get rid of their old engine and sell it cheap(less than $100). few months back this guy from santa cruz replace/upgrade his old engine(but running) and sold it for $50.

-vinz

68 02 manila VIN# 1662166

76 02 parting out