• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing an automatic.

JG

My brother just bought a very nice 72 that comes with a 72 parts car. We are planning to drive one and tow the other home. The problem is that the parts car is an automatic. We have used a tow dolly in the past (with manual transmissions). So the questions are: 1) can we just put the car in neutral and tow it? Or 2) Do we need to pull the drive shaft? Any comments or past experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

Joe

You need to disconnect the drive line unless you are going a very short distance (1 or 2 miles is all I'd try) I think it's easier to drop the half shafts than unbolt the drive shaft at the diff

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

I towed my automatic by unbolting the driveshaft @ the guibo and securely tying it up w/ wire. Here is the quote from the Owner's Manual in my ' 75 automatic:

"If the car has to be towed away, place the selector lever in the "O" (neutral) position.

Speeds reached when the car is being towed must not exceed 31 mph, and the distance covered should be limited to 25-30 miles. For longer distances, and additional 2.1 pints of ATF gearbox oil should be added to the prescribed amount, or the propeller shaft should be removed from the vehicle. Once the vehicle has been attended to, make sure that the gear oil is reduced to the prescribed level immediately."

Bob Napier

I would worry about towing a automatic car that hasn't been running in a while more than a few miles, I would worry that the trans fluid had run off a lot of parts that need lube, maybe by overfilling it but just dropping the half shafts seems much easier.

Marty

all the 02's i've ever towed, get towed by the front wheels. with enough rope and imagination, you can secure the steering wheel just fine.

alot easier than climbing under it to undo driveshaft.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

did that

Big truck came by on I 80 in Nebraska and we started whipping applied power could not get it to pull back straight

Ever done an 8 wheel drift into the median ? I have

tow back wheels down or stay off of the Interstate

I towed twice front wheels down (slow learner) never again once the sway starts it just build upon itself. It's with out a doubt the scariest thing you can do in a car. Now I just drop the outer half shafts and tow it right.

Marty

If the 2002 automatic is just a parts car, then just tow it in neutral. The auto gearbox is worthless and no one will buy it...so it doesn't matter if you ruin it. Personally the best way to tow any car is on a full car trailer (all four wheels off the ground). You can rent a car trailer from U-haul for about $60...

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

If the 2002 automatic is just a parts car, then just tow it in neutral. The auto gearbox is worthless and no one will buy it...so it doesn't matter if you ruin it. quote]

trans blows and locks up, it'll also lock the rear wheels. If that happens and you're on the highway running at 45-50 mph, odds are that you're going to wind up with a whole lot more problems than you bargained for - the shock load from the rear wheels locking could tear the front wheel tie-downs loose and yank the car off the tow dolly; dragging the locked rear wheels could blow a tire and flip the car; the shock load on the driveline could blow the diff and/or a cv joint resulting in one locked wheel and one turning free, causing massive fishtailing, etc, etc.

As posted elsewhere, if you're going to use a tow dolly, by far the safest option is to disconnect the outer ends of the halfshafts so the only thing turning is the rear wheels. If you're going any distance at all, it's also a real good idea spin the rear wheels after disconnecting the halfshafts to make sure they turn free (no dragging brake shoes, etc) and that there's no significant bearing noise, too......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)