• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

zinc vs cadmium

bimmerboy

it really comes down to how thick is the coating/plating.

realize that 99% of all chain link fences are coated in zinc. the higher the quality the thicker the coating. hot-dipped galvanized (zinc) bolts will last a very long time and are used in marine environments, such as holding piers together.

unfortunately, what passes for zinc coating is in fact a flash coat and is relatively thin. however, cadmium coatings nowadays are pretty thin too.

when dealing with the thinnes in available coatings, cadmium is considered a bit more durable, but in reality, a lot of these coatings serve to keep the nuts and bolts shiny on the shelf at the hardware store.

if you can get good quality zinc coating, choose it for environmental reasons if nothing else.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Cadmium plating is considered more corrosion resistant than zinc plating. From what I remember, steel parts with Zinc plating will develop "red" corrosion (aka RUST) in about 1/2 the time it takes a steel part with Cadmium plating in salt spray testing.

In real life, I find zinc plating good at preventing red corrosion BUT it tends to develop a "chalky" tarnish (aka white corrosion) that can look really bad.

Cadmium plating also tends to be more expensive because the plater must deal with added Hazmat issues in comparison to zinc plating.

My $.02 worth

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is