• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ISO Carpet Removal Tips

wickstad

I have a '74 with Figiking AC. I believe the carpet is original. I suspect rust is luking underneath.

I would like you folks to share information, tips and pitfalls about removing the carpet. Like how does the black plastic seal/rocker panel cover come off for one.

Please don't feel like any info is too obvious to note.

I will appreciate every reply.

remove seats at the rails (4 bolts/seat).

remove center console/or loosen a/c unit

rubber strip on rockers can be wedged up with a screwdriver on the end.

probably need to remove the underdash panels too.

look for very tiny screws holding up some of the vertical pieces on the kick-panels (drivers side and passenger side)

there may be a tiny screw located on the outbound seat support pillar holding that small tongue-shaped piece of carpet.

early sets had snap buttons on the rear pieces that have tiny screws within.

by now the carpet is probably enmeshed in the tarlike undercoating so it will need to be pulled with effort. take your time if you want to save it.

typically, if the section covering the inside rockers is presentable, get yourself some carpet scraps to replace the bottom portions and enjoy a refreshed look.

if you want to get to the metal underneath the tunnel you'll have to remove the a/c unit completely to expose the forwardmost piece of molded fiberboard.

then look for round metal stubs at the bottom edge of the fiberboard. these need to be bent upward and away.

you are now ready to remove the fiberboards and see the what's below.

approximate time to accomplish all this: give yourself 1.5 - 2 hours for 1st effort.

EDIT: you have a one piece molded carpet. you're gonna have to improvise a little. but you are forced to remove the a/c unit for sure

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa