• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to this forum and ready to get to work

khaledejaz

Hello,

I just purchased a 73 o2 here in San Jose. The car has a new motor with 40K miles on it and the previous owner did replace quite a few things here and there.

I am trying to ger the car repainted but don't have to money to spend a lot of money. Today I started sanding most of the body rust (at least the ones that are clearly visible). I am also trying to remove as much trim and exterior no-body related items as possible to keep the cost down. I don't intent to paint the engine bay.

My questions to you guys are:

(1) Trims (the waist line ones) are a pain to take off without ruining them. Since I am removing the trims is it fairly easy to get replacement trims? If so do you guys know how much they might run?

(2) Do you guys know of any "fairly" good paint shop that can repaint the car at a reasonable cost here in the bay area?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Pics: http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/557017912fFmPCN

My questions to you guys are:

(1) Trims (the waist line ones) are a pain to take off without ruining them. Since I am removing the trims is it fairly easy to get replacement trims? If so do you guys know how much they might run?

(2) Do you guys know of any "fairly" good paint shop that can repaint the car at a reasonable cost here in the bay area?

the beltline trim is actually easy to remove without goofing it...1st remove the 5mm bolts from all of the ends then pry up on the trim piece and it'll pop off..

cheap paint...maaco or similar plcaes will be the least expensive, regardless of your location

i second kangaroo's advice.

if money's short use elbow grease instead.

i hope you haven't sanded too much yet. before you walk down that long path consider a day's effort with rubbing compound and wax.

learn the car a bit, tackle a few little bits and pieces. if you're short on money you can get overwhelmed real fast. just keep the rust at bay and keep the interior dry.

it's a GREAT looking car from this distance, btw. i love to see original wheels on these cars.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice! I really appreciate it. Actually when I was sanding some of the rust spots today I noticed the car was painted (cheaply) before as some paint is peeling off. I have given the buffing idea a thought and saw the paint has cracked to a point of no return :(

I did take off some of the tim but I am still not done. Will use your idea of the end screws. They are pretty rusted but a little good ol' wd40 will loosen them up. I really like the car and have wanted one since I was in high school back in Bangladesh. Actually my 1st fav was the same year DATSUN 510 (since I grew up with Asian brand) however, I could only dream of owing a 2002.

I just put on new set of wheels since I commute with her 10miles each day. Thankfully there are no leaks in the car. The sunroof is holding up good. But you are right, I want to take small steps at a time. The major problem in working on cars is living in a condo doesn't help since you have to work in a carport with no electric outlet!! [Real Estate is nuts in bay area]

Again, thanks for your input ! I will continue to post questions as they come along.

BTW, are there any 2002 meets here in Bay area that you know of? Have a good weekend!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice! I really appreciate it. Actually when I was sanding some of the rust spots today I noticed the car was painted (cheaply) before as some paint is peeling off. I have given the buffing idea a thought and saw the paint has cracked to a point of no return :(

I did take off some of the tim but I am still not done. Will use your idea of the end screws. They are pretty rusted but a little good ol' wd40 will loosen them up. I really like the car and have wanted one since I was in high school back in Bangladesh. Actually my 1st fav was the same year DATSUN 510 (since I grew up with Asian brand) however, I could only dream of owing a 2002.

I just put on new set of wheels since I commute with her 10miles each day. Thankfully there are no leaks in the car. The sunroof is holding up good. But you are right, I want to take small steps at a time. The major problem in working on cars is living in a condo doesn't help since you have to work in a carport with no electric outlet!! [Real Estate is nuts in bay area]

Again, thanks for your input ! I will continue to post questions as they come along.

BTW, are there any 2002 meets here in Bay area that you know of? Have a good weekend!

Hey guys,

Should be lots of 02's up there. Many folks from that area post on the faq. Also look at http://www.bayarea02.com/

and www.bimmers.com is helpful.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

local bmw shop recommends "Miracle" in Berkeley for cheap effective 02 paintjobs. I guess they do a fair bit o business with local 02 types so they know how to paint them - and do a good job, even a bit of body work for 1k or so. cheaper if your willing to wait and come in when they aren't busy.

thats probably what I am gonna do this summer, guess winter is busy so rather wait it out till i can get it cheap.

miracle is a franchise, probably one in san jose--

'70 project

Welcome to the madness! Another San Jose 02er!

I have been searching local places for paint and talked with jetboy about Miracle but haven't checked them out yet. I went to Earl Scheib yesterday and checked them out. They are pretty cheap, of course the more prep you do the less it will cost. They do not offer BMW factory colors. The advantage is that you get your car within a few days. Other body shops could end up working on your car for weeks or even months.

I am going to spray my car myself with the help of a relative that used to own his own body/paint shop. Bonus!

There are quite a lot of Bay Area 02ers on the site, maybe more can chime in ;)

Good luck!

Guys,

I actually checked out mircale myself too. There is one just off the block from my house here in SanJose. THe guy gave me a pretty decent quote of about $1k since i chose the middle tier paint package. I have also talked to Maaco in south san jose. I didn't like the place at all. The guy basically told me he can't do anything for my car.

ibjettin, let me know if you are willing to do mine as well ;) I don't have a garage so that really sux. I can pay and help our with yours as well.

Is that Randy Rimple's old car? I work at the shop where he had that serviced the last couple of years (Optimal Auto Care). Glad to see that the car is in good hands. Let me know if there is anything you need to know about past service thats been done on the car as i could look it up pretty easily.

-Matt

the beltline trim is actually easy to remove without goofing it...1st remove the 5mm bolts from all of the ends then pry up on the trim piece and it'll pop off..

you would need a 5-1/2 mm socket to properly remove the nuts of the belt line trim.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti