• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've been away for a while.....

there seems to be a lot of panel-replacement in preference to metal-work these days. i guess in the era of 'time is money', the black art of actually working the metal is relegated to the artisans, truely expensive unique cars, or cheap-skate hackers like myself.

i have a co-worker who literally saved a 'muscle car' from certain destruction by pulling the rear-end out (the trunk had been pushed nearly to the rear window) and slowly and methodically hammering the metal. he showed me before and after pictures. truely amazing and yes, he's an amatuer. he's now a pretty good, and quick amatuer.

point is: remove the bondo, try your hand with a metal dolly and ball pein and tap away. i bought a cheapo kit of ePay that works okay.

supposedly, there are ways to shrink stretched metal but that's beyond me. if it's too bad, cut and weld.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I keep saying: bondo is a good thing! Of course, no bondo is a lot better, but if it held for 3 years and you hardly noticed it, maybe the best alternative is to leave it alone - unless you are planning a concourse restoration, that is! The problem in the past, with thick applications, is that they eventually crack. We once found it 6 inches thick on a car that had been running for years! This in a bodyshop is akin to finding a big meteorite! I think we even saved the chunk for several years!

standard.jpg

FAQ Member # 91

I'm not doing a concours restoration. I was just thinking of putting a nose panel on. "Couldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks, right?" I haven't uncovered the depth of bondo usage. I'll get some pictures when I do.

Jerry: I can see myself becoming familiar with a dolly. I, too, am a "cheapskate hacker."

If you start chipping through the bondo on the nose panel and come out at the taillights, then you have big problems.

Welcome back!

We were starting to look for a new demented bread-boffer.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Working metal isn't as hard as you might think.

I got to make a bunch of parts for a Volvo 122 wagon a few years ago, including some new rear bumper bracket receivers.

A couple of ball peen hammers, a vise, and a sand bag or shot bag can turn anyone into a "metal worker" with a little patience.

Even me.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

What you'll find, though,

is that 2002 steel is much more brittle and hard to work than the muscle car.

Or the 122.

It's a higher- carbon, higher- temper steel that LOVES to warp and oilcan.

Don't be too ashamed of a thin skim- coat. And don't expect to be able to do much shrinking!

Makes the car lighter, though... until you add bondo!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I tried to work some metal on a Jaguar XK150...

It was tougher than the sheet stock I formed for the Volvo, fersure.

:)

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

If you start chipping through the bondo on the nose panel and come out at the taillights, then you have big problems.

Welcome back!

We were starting to look for a new demented bread-boffer.

Thanks! I may very well be able to see out the back of the car once I start chipping away.

I'm thinking of changing the color. The Gulf paint scheme is too loud for me. Not sure what color I'm going to paint it this time. Looks like the original color was black.

You might want to check out this posting on Portland, Oregon Craigslist:

'74 bmw 2002 front and rear clips, no rust, no damage $150 each (clackamas)

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/270507392.html

Looks like a good alternative to grinding, sanding and filling. He's been trying to sell these for a long time. You might be able to work a deal. He also says he has lots of other parts. No affiliation. Noel