• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii transmission question

MikeD

I recently had my 74 tii transmission completely rebuild by a very reputable shop in North Carolina. It shifts very smooth but when I have it in any gear and take my foot off the gas the transmission will slip into neutral. You cant even tell or notice that this happens until you give it gas and of coarse the engine just revs. Any ideas why this happens. I really don't want to drive all the way back to North Carolina to have them look at it. It is under warranty but I was hoping it would be something easy for me to fix. Any ideas?

Mike

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Guest bruno74tii

for trans or motor (not so bad but still a PITA). In any case, you should call the shop right away to document the problem and discuss your options. Maybe they will pay for a local shop to look for simple fixes.

Sorry chap but that isn't good. The chap I work with rebuilt a synchro box at work with new synchro's but had ordered the wrong ones. The box did exactly what you've described. It was to do with the pattern of the synchro hub having one way notches rather than V notches (bit hard to write). But anyway, wrong parts fitted I'd say.

Glen.

It's also possible that they left out the detent springs and balls-

those are the bits that convince the shafts to stay in position.

It's a trans-out job to put 'em in...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

How's your clutch? Mine is almost shot and the rubber boot around the stick shift was stiff enough to drop the transmission into neutral at random moments. I put a leather boot on and everything's fine now - will be putting in a new clutch soon anyway.

'73 tii #2793786

'97 328ic

'03 Escalade (wife's)

Having just installed new syncros in a 4 spd I'd say the spring latch on the shift ring for 1st and 2nd gears is worn or not installed correctly. As I recall the ball detent on the shift rods are there to hold the shift fork in the neutral position. The spring loaded Paws on the shift ring are what holds it when in gear. Rebuilder should fix which will require splitting the case and pulling the gear cluster, pulling the reverse gear and 1st gear to get to the shift ring. How far away from NC are you?

The clutch is new. Actually everything is new.

The shop was Korman. They have no problem fixing it. They have been a great shop to work with. I am the one who doesnt want to drive back to NC from Northern Virginia. I talked to Ray Korman today and he wants me to bring the car back. I guess thats what I will do. All the other work the preformed on my car was flawless.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777