• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early tii 121 head w/bathtub pistons - Engine Rebuild

02fanatic

Anyone rebuild an original tii engine using the bathtub pistons?

Are these pistons still available?

I have all the parts available to undertake a rebuild of my "Long Sitting on the Engine Stand" tii engine - VIN 2760081 - is that early enough for ya? only the 81st tii engine manufactured for the USA!

Also, what is the best way to check the block and pistons for re-use without milling/replacement? Any references would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Guest Anonymous

Use a telescoping gage and outside micrometer or an inside micrometer to measure the bore at the top and bottom of the cylinder both parallel and perpendicular to the crankshaft. This will allow you to check for taper as well as out of round of the cylinder. Check for wear by comparing your measurement to the original bore size found in the factory or other manual. Measure the pistons as well and look for scoring or scuffing on the skirts. Check the ring grooves for wear as well by inserting the rings and using the correct thickness feeler gage.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

You're about two/three weeks too late. Two recent eBay auctions had a set of Ti(9.3c/r ----- don't you wish you could have gotten these) AND a set of Tii(9.0c/r --------- original USA spec). Hadn't seen either set for more than seven/eight years. I got outbid on both. Somebody on the FAQ got 'em.

mac.

I actually saw the tii pistons on ebay...but I wasn't seriously looking at the time. Never fails! :-(

I'm hoping I can save the original pistons...I won't know until I take the engine apart.....it has no head - so it had probably blown a head gasket way back when...before I found it in a barn (bought it for $100)...has the Kugelfischer though.

Should be a fun project, but I want it to be original early tii when finished.

Thanks for the measuring info Sherman!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

John from Toronto recently bought some ti or tii pistons from germany for his car. Heres a link to pics and contact info, his car is the blue 1602;

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75418

I cannot remember the exact specs, but I do recall they were unobtainable here in the usa.

His engine builder may have more info, marcus glarner, who can be reached here;

www.glarnermotorsports.com/

Let us know what you find.

Nate

While building a second engine with piano tops, a set of those pistons came on ebay. I bought em and installed in my original chasis engine. Got the set with rings for $50, the only bidder. Seller was 2002AD. Klobenschmidt mfr. The honing marks were in my block, had less than 85k on it, so fit right in with a buff on the cylinder walls and clearanced within specs. Klobenschmidts need a hair more than Mahles. Engine now on a storage stand with less than 500miles. Have a Ti head on it.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

While building a second engine with piano tops, a set of those pistons came on ebay. I bought em and installed in my original chasis engine. Got the set with rings for $50, the only bidder. Seller was 2002AD. Klobenschmidt mfr. The honing marks were in my block, had less than 85k on it, so fit right in with a buff on the cylinder walls and clearanced within specs. Klobenschmidts need a hair more than Mahles. Engine now on a storage stand with less than 500miles. Have a Ti head on it.

now THAT's a gloat. and i was happy to score my unused set of genuine Mahle 02ti bathtubs for $335. my dilemna is that i can't use them with the S14 crank i had envisioned. gonna find another application for the crank i suppose. they're easier to come by.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

now THAT's a gloat. and i was happy to score my unused set of genuine Mahle 02ti bathtubs for $335. my dilemna is that i can't use them with the S14 crank i had envisioned. gonna find another application for the crank i suppose. they're easier to come by.

Eat your heart out jerry! Nothin like having a spare hot engine (that I probably won't' ever use).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.