• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heated garage

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm about to build a new garage to store my 02 over the cold and damp scottish winter, i would like to have it heated!

is this a good idea? or should i install air con? insulate the walls? whats the answer.

I would be grateful of any help.

JD

all of the above. i heat mine all winter.. 1000 sq ft with a lot of insulation. i only turn it up to 55 when im working, otherwise its as low as the thermostat allows me to go. 45 i think, and its cheap to heat. maybe 20-30 a month depending on how cold it gets. but i dont open the overhead doors all winter either. i have a central a/c unit but havent installed it yet. i took an almost new furnace and a/c unit out of my building when i renovated it and put it all in my garage. the a/c is almost a must to remove the moisture in the summer if you wash cars inside.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I'm in the heating business. I would strongly recommend that you use a Rinnai Energysaver 1004. It is high efficiency, cool to the touch, simple to install, highly reliable, direct vent so no exposed flame. That is also called sealed combustion. It is the best unit of its type period! It is not inexpensive. I have represented Rinnai in New England since 1991. In over 40 yrs in the business they are the "BMW" of heating equipment. I've sold over 150,000 Energysavers since '91. I set mine so the units blower directs the air across the floor at the door level. I do not heat the garage all winter as it is an old structure. When it is 0 deg outside I can go downstairs, turn on the Rinnai, go have breakfast, return to the garage and be working in my shirtsleeves all day long. Check out, www.ductlessheating.com It was great having nice warm air blowing under the 72 when I was putting the new floors in.

"cold damp scottish winters" that goes for summers also (born there). In floor hot water heating is the most efficient form of space heating. You only have to heat to 6 or 7 feet above floor level. You then have options as to how to heat the water. Good luck.

Rod

I've always thought a radiant floor system would be great in a garage, especially if you're zoning it off from your house. Radiant heat is simply hot or cold water running though a polyethelene tube grid in the floor slab. Nothing better than lying on a toasty slab under the car. There are numerous ways to heat/cool the water, but I suppose Scotland isn't a good place for solar :)

You might consider a ground source heat pump. Picture one loop running through your slab and the other end of the loop running outside, below ground and below the frost line where it's 55 degrees (F) year-round. The heat pump brings the temp of that water up or down depending on whether you want to heat or cool.

Insulate walls and roof heavily. Look at your local code minimum and exceed it by 50%.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

but don't have the metallurgical background to know.

Sure would be nice to have heat & the room to work on the tii in the garage, with all the bikes, snow shovels, sporting goods, etc!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

In my garage, I insulated the walls and ceiling and bought an Amana window air conditioner that also has heat. This actually works really well but it's electric heat and runs up the bill if left on the entire winter. I usually only use it when I'm in there working.

'71 2002