• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torn between two engines

I have an early spec tii with 40k on a rebuild. the pistons were swapped when the engine was rebuilt and an 81 e12 head was added. the pistons look like 9-1 piano tops. I have pulled the head and am in the process of replacing the valve seals.

in the garage I have block #2760165, another early spec tii block, the cylinder walls look cleaner than my engine and the 121 head looks good too. the pistons are the proper 10-1 bathtubs, once oversize.

what are your thoughts? keep the matching #engine in and run the 9-1's? or clean up old #165 and give her a go? I am leaning for the later as my car originally came with that configuration.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would check the 72 block and use that. I have a factory shortblock in my tii. I also have a good motor 500 numbers from my car, both late 73's, which I hope to use for the next replacement. Shortblock was installed in 1986..

Rastadog ( Alex) 73 Tii, 2018 VW GTI with 3 pedals.

If you want to keep numbers, grind them down and restamp them. Then do the same on the other motor. No problems (except you have to live with the guilt for the rest of your life). Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver