• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel options

Jayson

Hi Sir--everyone has likes and dislikes, but there is only so much you can do to a 70 2002 before you kill its personality. A fake shark fin is right at the top of my personal list....I had my fun like this w/ E36s---I'm old fashioned now I guess.

Perhaps we should start a list of add on items most likely to kill the soul of a 2002?

I also dislike subs, amps and head units w/ DVD players as well as wheels over 15" -- Oh and 6 series rear seats--are we building limos or what?

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Hi Sir--everyone has likes and dislikes, but there is only so much you can do to a 70 2002 before you kill its personality. A fake shark fin is right at the top of my personal list....I had my fun like this w/ E36s---I'm old fashioned now I guess.

Perhaps we should start a list of add on items most likely to kill the soul of a 2002?

I also dislike subs, amps and head units w/ DVD players as well as wheels over 15" -- Oh and 6 series rear seats--are we building limos or what?

Ben

So you want ALL the 02's in the world to adhere to what you deem proper. HMMMM, lets just kill the car hobby all together.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Nope--I said different strokes for different folks--I just think as temporary keepers of these fine automobiles, tasteful upgrades will be appreciated more by future generations of 2002 owners. I will say that I get real disappointed when people rip the personality out of an original car when many, many previously modified or good restoration candidate examples are out there screaming for help, help of any kind to get back on the road. The hot rod hobby is another fine example of poaching original or properly restored cars to make hotrods/leadsleds/ etc. Gotta have a Hemi right?

Ben

PS, anyone want to buy a pink mini-lowrider truck w/ a chopped convertible top???

--> 1968 2002 <--

I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I love the nostalgic look as well, and would love to someday restore a ‘72 tii with this in mind. However I am currently building a M2 with many parts borrowed from e21’s, e30’s and yes maybe even the rear seat of a six series. I'm just throwing ideas out there....

'70 2002 (Just starting out)

Jayson,

I say buy it. You are the one driving it and the only one who needs to enjoy it. I am sure you could make it fit. A good welder could weld the spline section of an e30 to the one on your 2002. Go for it. It might cost you a hundred bucks or so for welding and some of your own wrench time.

Good luck!

Alonso

tasteful upgrades will be appreciated more by future generations of 2002 owners. I will say that I get real disappointed when people rip the personality out of an original car

Who cares about future generations? These cars were meant to be driven, and loved by their owners. Not restored to original condition for somebody who may just get their hands on it in the future.

Plus who's to say which upgrades are tasteful and which ones are not? Isn't that a subjective opinion? I hardly think that changing the steering wheel in his car is going to rip the personality out of it.

People are always going to modify their 2002's. Some will do things that other's don't like. That's what makes them interesting!

So, back to the point of the post. I'm not sure if this will help or not, but once I installed a steering wheel out of a JDM Subaru legacy into a subaru justy. The splines were way different. I just cut the center section out of the justy wheel, drilled and bolted it to the Legacy wheel. It looked and felt great and only took a few minutes to complete. It was all just for fun. The car barely went 75mph, but I put a momo gearknob and pedal covers on it too.