• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

automatic transmission question

jerry

i spent yesterday afternoon working on removing the engine/auto-transmission from a 73 02.

i believe there is a circlip in the tranny tunnel that i need to remove to liberate the shifter unit from the tranny. Is this all i need to deal with. i was unable to figure out the shifter and shifter cover in the closing moments of daylight i had left. is there any hidden screws or tabs?

this is my first auto-tranny removal.

also, i intend to reinstall this tranny or another spare auto-tranny on a replacement engine and reinstall into this car.

is there any maintenance i can do while it's on the workbench.

i don't want to devote too much time to this car right now as i am in the middle of a project. i just want to make this a driveable car on its own.

oh yea, just in case it wasn't obvious, the problem as i was told by the PO is in the engine. it has no compression in a piston or two. i have a replacement engine waiting.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

There is a rod that comes off the tranny and hooks to the shifter. The rod is connected to the shifter with a circlip. You can remove it from beneath the car - you do not need to remove the actual shifter in any way. You'll also need to remove the kickdown cable from the carb linkage under the hood. If you do want to remove the shifter, there are two screws under the brushes, at the front and back (near the 'P' and near the '1') you'll need to remove these to get the chrome shifter top off, then you'll see the additional bolts to remove in order to remove the shifter completely. The shifter 'T' handle you can remove by unsrewing it off.

While the auto box is out of the car I would recommend changing the filter. You'll need to remove the oil pan that is underneath the tranny in order to access the filter. You can order the filter and replacement gasket for the pan at a BMW dealer.

'71 2002