• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two quick noobie questions

knightro

I have searched the forums and have found very little info on these two subjects in particular. Any help and direction is greatly appreciated!!

- My recently purchased 2002 does not have the chrome edge that surrounds the entire vehicle and front turn signals. Question is, how difficult is it to install this and where should I get it from? Any tricks or landmines?

-Lastly, I would like to change the 1976 bumpers to the smaller ones. Where is the place to find them and how hard is it to do?

Thanks for your help!!!

Guest Anonymous

well, let me qualify that. if the mounting holes are still there, its easy

if the PO welded them shut, you will have to re-drill each hole which can be stressfull.

I think there are numerous posts on converting big bumpsers to small.

go to my2002tii.com

1. If the holes for the trim have been welded it will be difficult. If the holes are intact it is not that hard. You can find the "beltline" trim at Bav auto or source it through BLUNT from this forum.

2. Small bumpers are fairly available but anything affordable will require replating at least and probably more than that. There will be some body work and fabrication work involved if I remember correctly. Watch the parts forum for the bumpers or try flea bay.

Welcome to the madness

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

If you still have the holes in the body for the chrome strip, then installation isn't a big deal. If someone has welded up the holes, you'll have to redrill them, or consider pinstriping.

Replacing the bumpers is a bit more complicated because the mounting is different on the later models. The earlier bumpers don't use the big collapsible bumper shocks, they use fixed brackets located differently than the shocks. Finding the bumpers is either moderately expensive and somewhat difficult, or expensive and easy, depending on whether you buy new ones. I don't have links to new bumper suppliers handy.

Mike

Thanks for the quick responses! As for the "Welcome to the madness" comment. I completely understand! Has anyone done a "Look how I did it" type of email/tutorial on the bumpers? Is it safe to say that if you have the money go ahead and buy them new? What do they run new?

Any reason why I would not want to change the bumpers?

Thanks again!!!

Any reason why I would not want to change the bumpers?

You can't have a picnic on the small bumpers.....IMG_0471.jpg

They are good for tailgate parties too. Just plunk your hibachi on the rear bumper. You can also line up your beer cans on them.

Seriously, they do protect you from all the "idiots" that we have to drive around with daily.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I think the american bumpers are possibly the ugliest thing ive ever seen. I had a streetbike honda cbr rearend me..and i must say the 2-3inch movement of the bumper was definately nice. How I get it to pop back out I have no idea :\

I saw some euro bumpers for sale on aardvark racing site. of course without a core bumper they are extremely expensive. I opted to go with a rear eurobumper with no verticle peices and just a front air dam for my 75. good luck.