• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Child Seats

cjreents

Wondering about installing rear child seats in my 71 2002. Has anyone done this before? If so, did you add any additional tie downs perhaps in the trunk? Anyone have any safety concerns about toddlers in these cars?

Would like to be able to enjoy the car with the family as well as a daily driver... please let me know your opinions.

Thanks!

the package shelf sheet metal, backed by a large diameter washer to spread the load. I imagine it was attached at the bottom with the lap belt. This was many years ago, and with no kids around I don't know how modern child seats attach on older cars, but the package shelf, properly reinforced should be plenty strong.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Our little guy's first ride home from the hospital was in our '74 02 and he's been riding around in that and our '71 1602 for the past 5 years. Neither cars are DDs, and though 02s aren't the safest cars on the road impactwise, I look at it as a quality of life matter.

The '74 has inertia reel lap belts which aren't adjustable, but if you cross both belts though the child seat (5-point, not booster type) to the opposite latch, it nails the seat down tight, with no real need for LATCH. It also puts the kiddo in the middle of the car, which is safest from a side impact perspective.

Our 1602 has adjustable, non-inertia type lap belts which can work similar to above or with just one belt (off to one side for an extra passenger) if I really push the child seat down hard by getting in it myself while tightening.

Now that our boy is riding in a booster seat that uses regular shoulder belts (no belts associated with the seat), it's problematic. I need to install shoulder belts in back somehow before he can ride in the 02 again.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

to tighten the car seat or booster seat to the rear bench. The Mighty-Tite is awesome and you can get it a Baby's R Us or at Amazon for under $20.

This takes all the gruntwork out of securing the belts tight and gives you and specifically the spouse some piece of mind.

A word of caution, if you have a little baby in a carrier that snaps into a car seat base, they can pop out especially during a side impact. Using the seatbelt attached directly to the seat is the safest bet.

Ben

post-372-13667574231507_thumb.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--