• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper strut mount replacement quandry...

Mike Self

Dismantled my 73's struts this afternoon--noticed some very small cracks in the mounts' rubber housing. Actually didn't notice the cracks 'till I was cleaning 'em up. They're original with 208k. Bearings are fine; they turn nice and smooth, no visible rust, just these little cracks.

Replace just on general principles and age, or are they OK? Kinda hate to do this job again, so I'm leaning towards replacing 'em...whadda ya think?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

you got your money's worth out of them. what you are seeing first hand is the durability of bearings when treated properly. age, heat and ozone are killers on rubber though.

i reinstalled a used set of strut bearings on my current project, but the rubber was intact.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Mike, the old rubber becomes hard over time. I dunno what this does to handling, but it certainly increases NVH transmitted into the body. Given that the strut bearings are relatively inexpensive, this is one of those "do it while you are in there" kind of jobs.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

do not re-install the original ruber mounts - Old or New !

The improvement in steering turn in and feel, with no loss of

ride comfort is incredible from the K-Mac upper strut mounts. I have

tested back to back with NEW BMW rubber and the K-Mac and

it's day and night! AND you'll be able to adjust the camber AND caster

which you can't with the rubber mts. It's the best improvement in your

steering you can make - next to correctly adjusting your steering

gearbox and filling it with HYPOID 90 Gear Oil - and not synthetic.

Have fun and work safe.

camberkit.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Mike,

Had my '73 tii struts apart and replaced strut bearings two years ago. They were cracked and looking as if they'd "let go" and pop through the hood.

Julius spent much of his life in the south and southwest so he has little rust, but the rubber bits dried out a little bit sooner than back in the midwest.

Given the choice, I prefer crumbly rubber bits to iron oxidation...

Don't pinch your fingers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

mike-

just did this myself. comparing old and new, i noticed the old had collapsed in height. set on a flat surface, the old measured 1/8th inch to the mount plate. the new measured 1/4".

either this or another quality of the new mounts improved the steering effort tremendously. while you're in there, put in new rubber spring perches- you need four; they should be around $5 each at the dealer. don't forget your cca discount when buying at the dealer.

in my newly formed opinion, any suspect strut mounts should be replaced when new struts are installed. i wish i had when i put in the h&r's and bilsteins.

hth,

robert

replace 'em. Compared to the bearings on my '69, these on the '73 are practically perfect. I'll have to post pix of the 69's bearings when I get 'em off the car...they are REALLY bad, but have been about the same for many years and haven't let go yet!

So...looks like I order four of the little buggers!

cheers and thanks again

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite