• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner installation - Help!!

oz_tom

So after my attempt to install the headliner there are a few waves/wrinkles (see photos). Whats the best way to get the waves out? It feels like some of the ribs aren't quite on the seams of the headliner (its OEM).

When installing, i started from the back and worked forwards - correct method? Should I start again and use a different method?

... just a bit lost at the moment. Any clues would be great!

The flash from the camera makes it look extremely wavey in the pictures...

Any help appreciated for a first time headliner installer!

Tom

post-134-13667574281764_thumb.jpg

post-134-13667574286172_thumb.jpg

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

if the bows are pushed forward as far as they go that's correct...you need to keep stretching it side to side then front to back....it's easier if you start at the rear and stretch forward and temp tack it then keep moving forward...be certain you have it tight enough under that funky rear cardboard piece...cause once you move on and get it looking good in front of that piece, there's no easy way to fix it

more stretching.........a lot more front to back and side to side.......you did a big no no installing the rear grab bars before getting the headliner fully installed

some inspiration...

headliner.jpg

Guest bruno74tii

ON LOWEST SETTING to shrink sections that still have wrinkles. But this is the last step once you have stretched it and allowed it to settle into shape. Work slowly from back to front as described earlier.

hey, what a coincidence....

i JUST came in from installing my headliner today as well. what a tremendous sense of acomplishment when it's finally done.

first off. remove all the attachments you screwed in place. you are not ready for those until it's all glued and dried and secured with the edge trimming.

buy several dozen of those small paper clamps as well. you should have it stretched out for a trial fit before you start gluing.

gluing the liner to the rear support board is critical. i traced the placement on the new liner using the old liner as a guide, by measuring the distance to the first seam and curvature and centering.

the material that covers the c-pillar is a bit akward to deal with once the support board is installed. i had to make a cut (think this out carefully, first) to be able to stretch it rearward.

the rods should almost wedge themselves slightly forward. they help to stretch the liner in place. i left the foam padding on my ceiling and that made it easy for me to know where they should end up as i merely had to locate the depression in the foam they made.

use your paper clips to stretch the liner and straighten it out as necessary, adjusting alittle here, alittle there.

btw, you should install your A and B pillar vinyl first.

i will be posting photos in my project page tomorrow.

good luck and stick with it, it is doable. the hardest part for me was installing the rear board. i HATE those metal clamps. PITA POS

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

if the bows are pushed forward as far as they go that's correct...you need to keep stretching it side to side then front to back....it's easier if you start at the rear and stretch forward and temp tack it then keep moving forward...be certain you have it tight enough under that funky rear cardboard piece...cause once you move on and get it looking good in front of that piece, there's no easy way to fix it

more stretching.........a lot more front to back and side to side.......you did a big no no installing the rear grab bars before getting the headliner fully installed

some inspiration...

headliner.jpg

Thanks Esty, I should probably mention that the headliner was on the car previously (It was perfect so i saw no need to replace it) so all the holes and everything were already on it. It appears to be all in the right place according to all the holes - I think this is why i am confused. I will keep stretching it forward and side to side.

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

hey, what a coincidence....

i JUST came in from installing my headliner today as well. what a tremendous sense of acomplishment when it's finally done.

first off. remove all the attachments you screwed in place. you are not ready for those until it's all glued and dried and secured with the edge trimming.

buy several dozen of those small paper clamps as well. you should have it stretched out for a trial fit before you start gluing.

gluing the liner to the rear support board is critical. i traced the placement on the new liner using the old liner as a guide, by measuring the distance to the first seam and curvature and centering.

the material that covers the c-pillar is a bit akward to deal with once the support board is installed. i had to make a cut (think this out carefully, first) to be able to stretch it rearward.

the rods should almost wedge themselves slightly forward. they help to stretch the liner in place. i left the foam padding on my ceiling and that made it easy for me to know where they should end up as i merely had to locate the depression in the foam they made.

use your paper clips to stretch the liner and straighten it out as necessary, adjusting alittle here, alittle there.

btw, you should install your A and B pillar vinyl first.

i will be posting photos in my project page tomorrow.

good luck and stick with it, it is doable. the hardest part for me was installing the rear board. i HATE those metal clamps. PITA POS

Thanks Jerry,

As i just mentioned to esty, the liner was actually in the car before hand. I installed the grab bars as more of a guide then anything thinking that the holes would be correct as its been used before.

I also left the foam pads on the roof and the bars looked like they were on the marks left from them when i took it out previously.

Ill keep an eye out on your project page! and go install those A and B piller vinyl's in the mean time!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky