• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner install

TBBMW

Thanks Esty, I was able to score a replacement board from an early round tail at the local PAP today. They seem to be the same and I was able to de-install it with no breaks. The other issue is what to use as a replacement for the clips to hold it in place.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

Thanks Esty, I was able to score a replacement board from an early round tail at the local PAP today. They seem to be the same and I was able to de-install it with no breaks. The other issue is what to use as a replacement for the clips to hold it in place.

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz

The other issue is what to use as a replacement for the clips to hold it in place.

those clips are still available new. i was unable to salvage mine as i mangled them removing that board. i've tried everything to try to remove them gently. i hate them and dealing with them is one of the few things on these cars that make me swear.

installing them was not trivial either. i tell you, i hate them.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Wow, sounds like you had a great battle with them! I just pushed the clips through the hole in the board backwards (lip side first). Once i got them all in, up she went and straight in. Took about a half hour to figure out that i could actually do that and didnt have to push the whole clip through and get it snagged on those two spikey bits!

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I just pushed the clips through the hole in the board backwards (lip side first). Once i got them all in, up she went and straight in. Took about a half hour to figure out that i could actually do that and didnt have to push the whole clip through and get it snagged on those two spikey bits!

i'm certain then the aussie clips are different from the US ones...i think where those clips are concern'd the germans were playing a little payback with the o2's that were ship'd to the states

TBBMW...a word of caution...when drilling the small holes for the "new" screws...don't drill a hole thru the roof of your car....there's not a lot of room up there

Well, actually I was thinking of using a screw with a head a little wider than the existing holes.. cutting the screw to about 3/4 - 1 inch and placing one of those hinged anchors on the other end. You know, like the ones you use on drywall. Like you said... who will know what's behind there once my headliner is in. At least it works in theory.....

1974 2002 Chamonix

1974 2002 Tii

1975 2002 Polaris

1985 535i Diamantschwarz