• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Kegelmeister Racecar project

JK

The valve was part of the entire working system that came off of the parts car. I figured if they used it, why not? It's in the bypass position now so its essentially out of the circuit. But if the conditions get slippery (like light rain) I can very quickly increase my rear braking force so I dont plow off in a turn.

I don't know if you have ever used the balance bar before, but every turn is a very subtle change and once some dirt gets on the threads, it may not turn at all during a race ( the cable just winds itself up). They also tend to get to the end of the threads and lock themselves at that setting until you can come back in and free it with a wrench.

Like I said in my blog, I used it because I had it.

BTW, it turns out that that oil pan I have that you measured, only works with a 318i (or 320i?) oil pump. Luckily, I had one on the motor I got from Cory.

I started looking at a few other pictures of oil pans I have and I started to wonder since it looked like things where off a bit...

good to know! thanks

Yeah, it doesn't have the long neck that the 2002 pump has. I'll take pictures soon when I install the pan

why the proportioning valve and the balance bar.... I' might go to a tilton pedal setup and figured I don't need a proportioning valve if I have a balance bar on the pedal.....I would love to hear the reason!

Pedro I did read on one of the s14 forums that the proportioning valve had little to no effect at lower pedal pressures and that the effect increased as pressure increase thus applying more more of the force to the fronts rather than rears as weight transfer occurs. No idea if its true- just thought I'd throw it out there. Here is some reading:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_proportioning_valves.shtml

That's interesting reading "peteinjp" I've read something like that somewhere else but can't remember where. It sounds like the proportioning valve may be best for tuning your trailbraking. I tend to get on the brakes hard and feather off toward the apex. This valve may help proportion the bias to the rear as I trail off giving me tuneable rotation?

Pedro, I have the pics up of the oil pump.