• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XM radio roof antenna location.

Napes

Thx to H_Krix for the tip that the the magnetic antenna did not need to be stuck on the roof, it'd work fine on the parcel shelf. I went out and moved my Sirius roof antenna to the parcel shelf and a test drive proved it worked great there. I never liked it on the roof for cosmetic reasons (even though I painted it and the wire Chamonix to match my car), for aerodynamic reason, and, especially, vandalism fears (though I had none in 14 mos.). If you've got one, try it, you'll like it inside.

Bob Napier

....my 68 doesn't have a radio, but I really wanted to listen to the Indy 500 on the way home from V @ V last year, so I used a portable XM unit, plugged in the the lighter socket, found some metal hiding under the padding on the dash for the antenna and used headphones for the drive home. Worked very well.

--> 1968 2002 <--

Thx to H_Krix for the tip that the the magnetic antenna did not need to be stuck on the roof, it'd work fine on the parcel shelf. I went out and moved my Sirius roof antenna to the parcel shelf and a test drive proved it worked great there. I never liked it on the roof for cosmetic reasons (even though I painted it and the wire Chamonix to match my car), for aerodynamic reason, and, especially, vandalism fears (though I had none in 14 mos.). If you've got one, try it, you'll like it inside.

Bob Napier

Good to know it worked for you. On some cars with heavy tinting or a large amount of defroster lines, it can sometimes play a little havoc with the system, but since we're all driving greenhouses around here, it won't be a problem at all.

I've sometimes installed the magnetic antennas on the front dash of cars before, but you can get some odd interference with the rest of the electrics up front. The rear parcel tray is usually a safe spot.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog