• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Color is This?: Part 2

philbarnes

I posted before and got some great help identifying the color of the 02 below. This is my color for my repaint.

2002 AD confirmed that it is not an 2002 color, rather a VW Bug color. Several folks on the forum steered me the same way. I have found two VW colors that are close, what do you think?

While these are the closest VW colors I could find, neither appears to be just right. Any other thoughts on VW color candiates?

Thanks, Phil

post-900-13667574796516_thumb.jpg

post-900-13667574797679_thumb.jpg

post-900-13667574799013_thumb.jpg

here's what i think...depending on brand of paint, who mixes it, what kind of paint, etc, there are going to be variables...i've taken color chips into paint stores, they've mixed it, according to the recipe and it's come out slightly different

if you want to match that color, the only way to insure you get an exact match is take a piece of the car to a paint store and have them color match it to the paint, not a chip or color code

i'm going to paint my 69 that color too...it was love at 1st sight when you posted that pic...after a lot of research, i've come to the conclusion the color is actually closer to this one...

t_mystery_color_163.jpgcapr.jpgt_mystery_color_163.jpg

however, it could be somewhere between the obove chip and this one...

greencolor.jpg

let me know if you find the formula and what brand of paint you found it in...

It looks like a "new" Beetle color from a couple years back. There's one in town that I see everyday. A little lighter than my Taiga car, but still metallic, but with a clearcoat. As Taiga is more subtle and less "acid" than the new Honda Escape(?) color called Kiwi (metallic), the Beetle color is more subtle and less "acid" than Taiga. Did that make any sense? If you take a copy of the 2002AD car pic to your local VW dealer, they will immediately recognize... Or you could just paint it Taiga and park it in the sun in Arizona for three years...

I saw that new bug color too, it is not quite as right, but close. The Element Kiwi Green appears too dark.

The old VW Caprigrun / Capri Green 684 does look the closest. I can't find any pis of it on cars, however.

I will post what my paint guy comes up with.

Thansk to all. Phil

phil...i just made a trip to the paint store...the one i do biz with sells dupont and ppg...i made some scans of the car we've been drooling over here...made sure the tones, etc were what i wanted to see then took that color scan with me...

it was a very simple thing...they handed me a huge book filled with all colors from dark to light...a color spectrum of sorts...i matched the color spot on to what i was looking for

1 gallon dupont base coat...$153.00