• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Light Won't Go Off!

zqaddoc

Check your fluid level!, and check the switch at the rear portion of the E-brake ( the switch the that turns your light on and off when the e-brake is activated) for corroision.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

located near the master cylinder that senses a significany pressure differential between the two halves of your brake system and causes the brake warning light on the dash to illuminate.

Only '76s have this; it can be re-set by pressing a button under a rubber cover on the sensor, which is a metal casting near the M/C with several brake lines fastened to it.

Check archives for further info. If you don't have a 76, it's either the reservior cap (malfunction or low fluid level) or the e-brake switch (74-76 only) that's under the rubber boot at the base of the e-brake.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

there are 2 wires attached to the cap of your master cylinder, check and make sure one of them didn't break...if it did that will cause the light to stay on.

Ben

'74 tii

Actually, on my '76, the light will not come on if one of the wires on top of the brake fluid reservoir is disconnected or broken, when the fluid reaches the proper level, it breaks the connection.

I agree, check the brake fluid level, that is usually the first reason the light stays on. If your car has a manual choke, that will also activate that light. Whatever reason, I am sure it is not the Hazard switch.

If you uncover the emergency brake, you can see the switch at the rear of the mechanism. Check that, and the wires leading to it.

Good luck,

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours