• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: What's the best 2002 for street use?

Lukas

In your opinion what's the best 2002 for street use and why:

(a) 2002tii

(B) 2002 added turbo, fuel injection, and other engine mods.

© 2002 with a E30 M3 engine in it.

The year I was born was the last year they made the 2002 so I'm not interested in these cars for "rememberwhens" so let's not concern ourselves with how original a 2002 is. One of the great things about these cars though is their reasonable gas consumption, reliability and their great everyday usability. But the best thing is their zippiness, handling, accelleration, etc.. We would all like more of all of the above (maybe at the sacrifice of a bit of fuel economy), hence this post. I also asked cause I am trying to figure out what form my next '02 will take.

Lukas

Can't vouch for the last two examples, but There is nothing better than driving a well-tuned tii on the street.

In my case, I have two -- a roundie and a squarie.

What's important to me as a street car is the drivability in traffic -- the smooth idle and low end performance are essential for the streets and hills of San Francisco. The larger, stock tii brakes are adequate.

Also important is cooling, so I have a Curt Ingraham triple core radiator on my '73 and a 320i radiator in my '74.

A five-speed is nice for those cross-country trips in my '73, and both my cars are equipped with limited slip diffs.

Reliability? My '73 has never let me down in the 6+ years of ownership and that includes several 2000+ mile trips. My '74 is my daily driver and equally well-behaved.

Comfort? My'73 has Scheels and my '74 has Recaros. No A/C. Sunroof on the '73, non sunroof for the '74.

Oddly, overall, they are as much alike, as they are different. Either one would be a fine summer driver blasting down the QEW or cruising King St.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

You're talking about a 30-40 year old car - so anything that's in the best condition and well looked after.

I had a Tii and it was a lovely car but one of those that lets you down all the time for no lack of servicing or care. Couple of injection problems, cracked head, blown diff, fuel pump, this and that. Mainly servicable items - they simply seemed to come to the end of their life at the same time and it starts to get you down.

Then ran a standard carbed 02 and was surprised how sprightly it was in comparison to the Tii. Never let me down. Now have an s14 under the bonnet - and it's been great. Use it year round, whatever the weather.

Take you're pick - just refer back to my first sentance.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

(a) 2002tii

(B) 2002 added turbo, fuel injection, and other engine mods.

© 2002 with a E30 M3 engine in it.

Option B for me.

I've never owned a tii, so I can't really go with that one. To tell you the truth, I don't think I want to own one. I'd feel bad about modifying it.

The S14 motor is a great derivation of the M10 block and fits nicely into an 02's engine bay. The only problem to me is the cost. If you're lucky enough to find one in a junkyard, you really should have it rebuilt....adding $$$. Once it's together, though, you have a nice, balanced, factory-engineered motor that you can easily get parts for.

Personally, I like the idea of adding a turbo and EFI on an old block. I was in the middle of a Megasquirt project when my car was totaled....so i can't wait to begin on another one. I may or may not eventually add a turbo....but I love to tinker with my car. DIY EFI lets me do that.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I've essentially had all of those as my daily drivers. A heavily modded 02 with Weber 45s, flares, roll bar, etc...; a nearly bone-stock carbed early 02; an updated EFI system on an 02; a 72tii; and then my E30M3.

The E30M3 has the refinement over the 02s. It's 15 years newer. But you were asking about the motor, so I think this falls into the same category as ANY motor swap into an 02.

The bone stock tii and the carbed 02's were just fine as daily drivers. As has been said, 30 years old and there will be issues. usually they are things you can easily repair and won't leave you stranded.

The heavily modded car was very fun and fast, but far from refined. Driving it everyday, it seemed to be more tempermental than a tii. I would say these are more suited for specialty vehicles.

One of the better cars I had was when we put a 1980 320i head and injection on a 2 liter bottom end. Parts were cheap and once it was dialed in it was very problem free. It reminded me of a tii but without the tempermental bits.

Since then, there are many more swap in motors to choose from. You just need to decide WHAT your ultimate goal is. If it is reliablity, then ANY fresh 4 cylinder motor will give you enough power and work smoothly with your 02. If you start to go for more torque or HP, then you ~may~ have to give up either reliabilty or refinement. It all depends on how radical you go.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Any of the choices will be great, but only if tuned properly. It could be difficult to find a Tii expert where you live. Turbo+injection and any other gizmo may be very expensive and need constant fiddling.

That leaves the S14-2002. Turn the key, start the engine, let it purr. Adjust valves once a year, check oil. And it has 200 smooth HPs. It will be a cheaper option than a Turbo and injection. And much easier to maintain.

BTW You ruled out a carbed 2002. Why?

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.