• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My *early 71* Project-No.2

jerry

What type of compressor/filters are you using to do your painting?

i use two in line filters, and one disposable filter at the base of the gun. i'm using a basic 20 gal 5HP craftsman compressor.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i figured i'd box up a set of trailing arms just like the tii's, as a complement to the tii brake booster this car has. it wasn't necessarily difficult, but it is time consuming. the factory welded in a holder for the flexible brake line and a threaded nut to secure the parking brake clamp. i had to file the brake line holder from scratch and welded an 8mm nut for the clamp.

i was able to use a sheetmetal hole punch for the brake line which gave it a more OEM look as opposed to a hand filed approximation.

as soon as these are done i will be able to reinstall the rear suspension and get this car off the jack stands.

post-260-13667653905396_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667653907248_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667653908997_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

• 2 months later...

well, i've been poking around on this car on and off for the past couple weeks. i've got so many projects around the homestead that it's just impossible to devote much time to this car. my goal is to have it running for this year's brisbane show.

since my last post, i've had to say goodbye to my dear friend and companion Ramone. i thought it fitting to include a photo of him in this post as i had included one of him in a much earlier post of this project on page 1. he was a great cat and i miss him.

i also have a photo of the rear suspension bits prior to final assembly. i posted a similar photo of the front suspension used on this car about 5 years ago. yes, this has been a very long time coming.

i welded up the rear trailing arms and decided against an LSD differential in the interest of time. i can install one later. i also have a couple differential final gears to swap out in due time.

i've also welded an o2 sensor bung to my exhaust in preparation for the eventual sidedrafts i hope to install. with daylight saving time approaching, i should get more done during the week.

post-260-13667656795428_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667656804736_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

• 2 months later...

i haven't posted in quite a while. the car did not make it to brisbane.... there's always next year. i am so close to getting it running, BUT, i decided that i will complete all the unpleasant, nagging issues i typically put off, on the interior. it has typically been my habit to get the car running and then i never quite get around to completing the interior. i've driven 02's without radios, door panels and even window cranks for months/years until i get around to selling it to 'thin the herd'. this happened to the last car i sold. it wasn't until i finalized the deal with the buyer that i actually completed all the small interior stuff. it sure transformed the car!!! i was sorry to see it go.

that will not happen with this car. it is my plan that i will not sell this car until i have another 02 waiting in the wings.

things i've done since last post:

installed recored radiator and all tubes, headlights, horns, blinkers, hood

removed PS door for rehab and installed temporary PS door.

swapped entire steering assy to eliminate worn out unit.

rekeyed doors and ignition to same key

rekeyed trunklock

swapped a better 3-piece dash with minor cracking for the heavily cracked original one.

installed new blue carpet kit

cleaned and detailed instrument cluster

cleaned and refurbished the OEM steering wheel and installed a leather wrap, which i'm very pleased with.

i'm currently working on a mono-Becker radio installation in the console with a single speaker. no stereo for this car. i'm fabricating a custom frame to utilize existing holes in the console.

this kind of work takes a tremendous amount of time but i really want to experience what it's like to drive in an 02 with a decent interior...

post-260-13667660913112_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667660914946_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

i made more progress with the radio install. i'm very pleased with how this is turning out. my goal was to not add any more screw holes to the console than were already existing. with the exception of the ashtray cross-member, i've been able to keep the console looking untouched.

fitting these custom trays takes a lot of patience with measuring, trimming, fitting and filing. the results speak for themselves. i have no idea if the Becker radio i'm installing actually works. if it does not, i will have it repaired, whatever the cost. i've become quite fond of its looks. it's perfect with the speaker grill i have. i plan to paint the center portion of the grill black when i get some appropriate textured paint.

i had hoped to locate the speaker at an angle, matching the angle of the console edge but i just didn't quite have enough space so i am fitting it below the radio inline with it. this position will provide a very small tray in the console for small crap. i'll think about interior storage later.

i took a couple photos to show the progress. i have a new speaker on order that hopefully will fit. re-coning a european speaker was not as simple to do due to the parts availability issue. this is a mono-speaker radio anyways, so as long as i can hear something, then i'm happy.

post-260-13667660987012_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667660988501_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667660989913_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

• 1 month later...

well tonight i finally got the car running. i hooked up the battery in the trunk, looked for smoking wires, pulled the coil wire to prevent the engine from actually starting and cranked the starter. the starter worked, engine rotated. i repeated this to try to get oil moving and gas to the fuel pump. battery started to loose power so i waited an additional 20 minutes while i put a charger on it.

i pulled the choke out, connected the coil, looked things over one more time and gave my brother the go-ahead to try to start it. it started RIGHT UP. a little shaky at first as it got into the groove. i pushed the choke in a little too soon as i discovered when it finally warmed up and settled down. set the timing with a light and adjusted the idle down a little. once it warmed up i was able to get it to idle smoothly at 900-1000 RPM.

it's got a Schrick 292 and a cleaned and prepped Weber 38/38 and a stock looking exhaust. it sounds GREAT and more aggressive than any of my previous 02's.

Things to do:

clean and install original spaghetti seatbelts (i love those, btw).

tighten the suspension once the car is loaded properly

weld a small exhaust leak at the O2 sensor bung.

and a bunch of cosmetic/body work among others....

What a sense of satisfaction. this car has been dead for at least 7 years!!!

post-260-1366766217632_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667662177962_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667662179607_thumb.jpg

& 1 special alfa

• 2 months later...

i don't have any pictures to share at this time but i wanted to document what i've been doing since my last post.

i just installed my rebuilt vac-advance distributor that i sent out to Advance Distributors for rehab. i was informed that the vacuum unit was worthless and NLA new. fortunately i had a good one on the shelf. now i know what to look for when assessing used distributors. i promptly removed my $4 Brisbane Show bargain distributor and discovered that it too had a faulty vacuum unit. New spark plugs, points, condenser and cleaned distributor cap and resetting the distributor to TDC by hand, and the car started up. i could immediately tell i was gonna be pleased with the new bits.

i set my timing light to about 12-deg BTDC per instructions from rebuilder and the flywheel ball was steady. i'm so used to seeing a bouncing ball in there. what a change. i could almost balance an egg on the car, but my idle is a little faster now so tomorrow i'll play with idle speed and perhaps reduce the idle jets on the Weber 38/38 one more step. the used spark plugs are slightly rich, but not too bad.

PINGING: on my test drive the car did ping a little when i pushed it so i have to sort that out as well.

cosmetically, i replaced the maroon hood with a white one and installed the OEM hubcaps. the car is screaming for a paint job. i just might pay for this, so i can complete the interior.

in the meantime, i'm doing an extensive rust restoration on 2760440 and will start a project blog on that car at a later date. i don't want to have multiple years between posts like i did on this car...

overall, i'm definitely learing my way around carburetors with this car and look forward to installing a set of Mikuni 44 PHH's on it.

one last pleasant surprise: i took a compression test yesterday and discovered that all four cylinders measured 175 psi. WOW!!! not bad for a used engine i got with a junked car i originally bought for the 5 spd. that car was scrapped after being rear-ended severely.

& 1 special alfa

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I just recently bought this car from a friend. So far I've swapped interior door panels, added recaros and French (Amber reverse light) tail lights. I also will be adding hardy&beck 3piece wheels and matching hardy&beck momo horn button and shift knob. Also on the list are nos 7inch cibie oscars a brand new cannon intake manifold (smooth, no plugging old vacuum line bungs etc. A brand new weber 38/38, Ireland engineering stage to headers and some other motor dress up tidbits! Motor still pulls hard and the tranny shifts very nicely! My buddy had stripped the trunk lid and let it rust a tad, kind of like the look for now, but eventually it will be repainted.

Not sure how to post pictures...

Edited by Coastalcrush408

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

• 7 months later...

I just recently bought this car from a friend. So far I've swapped interior door panels, added recaros and French (Amber reverse light) tail lights. I also will be adding hardy&beck 3piece wheels and matching hardy&beck momo horn button and shift knob. Also on the list are nos 7inch cibie oscars a brand new cannon intake manifold (smooth, no plugging old vacuum line bungs etc. A brand new weber 38/38, Ireland engineering stage to headers and some other motor dress up tidbits! Motor still pulls hard and the tranny shifts very nicely! My buddy had stripped the trunk lid and let it rust a tad, kind of like the look for now, but eventually it will be repainted.

Not sure how to post pictures...

R.I.P. 2570440 i heard that this car was totaled in September 2015

& 1 special alfa

• 2 months later...

Update on this cars situation: the motor and tranny have been pulled and are currently being put in my 74' Atlantik car. I will also be swapping over suspension parts, the rear subframe, brake booster and other interchangeable parts. The complete interior will be going into my next roundie. Jerry here are some photos of the car pre accident and a couple soon after. This was such a great car I'm so bummed it had such an untimely demise, but it will live on in other cars!

post-34145-0-59930000-1451847468_thumb.j

post-34145-0-22606900-1451847509_thumb.j

post-34145-0-77606600-1451847553_thumb.j

post-34145-0-82414400-1451847597_thumb.j

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329