• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's Time For STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Our next contestant from Idunno, Alaska ask:

How difficult is it to remove the firewall blanket WHILE the engine and brake assembly still in the car?

Also, is it possible that a new one can be installed the same way?

Finally, where can one get one?

How difficult is it to remove the firewall blanket WHILE the engine and brake assembly still in the car?
Easy - mine took itself off for me. Usually it's pretty brittle and will come off in little pieces. Also it likes to fall down and lay on the exhaust downpipe and give you a nice campfire smell :-)
Also, is it possible that a new one can be installed the same way?
Dunno - I'd say probably not. IF it's still available I'd say that it probably comes in one giant section and would best be installed with the motor out. Why not remove it and soundproof the interior firewall? Dash & carpet is easier to remove than motor & engine bay equipment.
Finally, where can one get one?

Dunno if they are NLA or not - try BMW, BLUNT, maybe BillWilliams will chime in...

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Ya know, I might read more of your posts if u put something relevant in the subject line. Others that perhaps know something about what's stated in the subject line might also be inclined to chime in. Not that I know anything. ;-p

Carry on.

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Why not remove it and soundproof the interior firewall?

Dash & carpet is easier to remove than motor & engine bay equipment. quote]

you know, that never occurred to me to leave that pad off and accomplish same idea from the inside. anyone done this? if so, what's the verdict. the pad is a great accumulator of moisture and grime anyway.

and i agree with earlier post, a little descriptive title is much more helpful for everyone.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Why not remove it and soundproof the interior firewall?

Dash & carpet is easier to remove than motor & engine bay equipment. quote]

you know, that never occurred to me to leave that pad off and accomplish same idea from the inside. anyone done this? if so, what's the verdict. the pad is a great accumulator of moisture and grime anyway.

and i agree with earlier post, a little descriptive title is much more helpful for everyone.

ive done both. it is possible to install the firewall insulation with the motor in the car but its not easy and you need to cut the insulation pad to accomplish it. it depends on what youre building i guess. a rat rod wouldnt get it if it were mine but a nice resto would.

if the firewall is prepped properly and protected i imagine it would be good for another 30 years even if the firewall insulation collected some dirt and grime

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Agreed. And if you'd put a bit of pertinent info in the header, I'd look more often, too.

As to the firewall, the brake lines are the real furry PITA!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

I was just looking at my blankie today and have wondered about these issues. I think last year Bimmer Parts said they had them and they were in the fifty dollar range. The only strruggle with installation that I can see is around the brake booster. A small slice in the material, I think, would go along way in getting the pad around the booster.