• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice! Reinstalling interior/headliner how do i start

snowflake

I just finished putting the wiring back into the car,

Which was a total friggin nightmare, because i didn't pay enough attention when disconnecting the wires from the fuse box.

But i'm really happy to say that everything is now working like it should. I'm now moving on to finishing the interior compartment.

I was hoping to get some advice on the stages so that i don't finish something and then find out later that it has to get undone to finish something else.

Here's what i'm thinking.

1. Headliner

2. dash/

3.carpet

4.front/rear windows

How do i begin installing the headliner?

Do i need glue or something?

I'll post some pics tomorrow

Thanks

get some brushable contact cement, and about 3 dozen of those nice paper clamps from office supply store (1/2 inch size is fine).

i'll assume your old headliner is removed and you saved the rear support board. you'll need to salvage those pesky spring-like clamps or buy a new bunch, or try short panhead screws as has been suggested by others.

use your original headliner to locate the position of the support board on your new headliner. measure distance to the first seam, distance from edge, etc.

glue this board onto your headliner and allow to dry. use patience and pliers to reattach the board to the ceiling. it's not a pleasant experience but it's doable.

insert the 5 rods in the sewn pockets. install the rearmost rod in its appropriate hole in the roof. pulling it forward, carefully, will aid in getting the headliner tight. work your way forward. at the front windshield start clamping. apply clamps to the sides. pull as needed to sort it out.

another awkward part is pulling the headliner tabs down and towards the c-pillar. i made a very careful cut to help pull it rearward.

it's not rocket science. several folks here have done it and posted results.

good luck.

when you're happy with the positioning, slowly add glue to the edges and reclamp as needed. hopefully you kept your old headliner as a guide.

your vinyl edging, sunvisors, hand grips will all help in further tightening it after it's installed.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa