• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How tight to make the fan belt?

Any advice on how-tight to make the fan belt? I know if it is too tight it can kill the waterpump in short order. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Lee

of play in the belt run between the water pump and alternator. Before adjusting, check the alternator mounting bushings--the original rubber ones turn into black goo; that'll cause the alternator to cock at an angle, thus causing accelerated belt wear and making adjustment more difficult.

You can buy replacement urethane bushings that will last indefinitelly; that'll make your job a lot easier, and your fanbelt last a lot longer...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have to tell you....this is one of those "fly by the seat of your pants" things. Mike, with all due respect, figuring out "where 1/2-inch is" is next to impossible in real life - unless you have a belt tension gauge.

Here's what I do: leave the belt obviously too loose and run the engine and accelerate....you will get a "squeel" no doubt from slippage. Keep tightening the belt up until the "squeel" stops....do this on a "cold engine".

I know this works, as I have retightened Hugo's belt about a dozen times before the squeel went away! :-)

You should also have a feel in your gut if the belt is too tight...as you won't be able to depress it at all.

I know, this isn't not very scientific, but it works! All the comments about bushings apply obviously.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

fanbelt (taught me by my father-in-law who started mechanicking back in Model T days): lay a straightedge (a paint stirrer will work) on the fanbelt, push down on the middle, and try to insert anything a half inch in diameter between belt and straightedge (I use a 1/4" drive socket of the proper OD).

But you're right, it doesn't have to be exact. I usuallly use my thumb vs a socket. Bottom line is tighten it just enough so the belt doesn't slip, even when wet, and you're good to go. If it squeals, it's too loose; if you go thru water pumps in 10k miles, it's too tight. Loose is good.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite