• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii (Bacchus) projects

dubois

This blog will document the history and a series of upgrades on my daily driver.

standard.jpg

One of the early pictures with CA blue license plates - I only wish I had kept those. I purchased Bacchus in Morgan Hill around the year 2000, it was completely stock, but it was in desperate need of a fresh interior and exterior. The motor purred like a kitten though. One of the first projects was a complete paint job. It was only a sand and paint using Glasurit single stage, bodywork was limited. It is what I describe as "a 10 footer".

standard.jpg

One of my favorite pictures on Quien Sabe Rd. This road has been used to validate and test most of my car's upgrades. Not a bad thing, living a couple miles from it. It seems that some of the upgrades, evolve or change as one goes thru the learning curve and realistic assesment of one's goals and taste.

I believe that the car is 90% complete now, changes will be minimum from this point on.

standard.jpg

Bacchus when it had 13" turbine and long bumpers. My goal has always been to build a car that retains the classic look but it is upgraded from its original design to incorporate modern advances that will add to the fun factor, while never sacrificing driveability or comfort.

standard.jpg

Engine rebuild (2005) by Rob Torres.

Specs:

9.5 C. R. Mahle pistons

292 Shrick cam

Polished and shotpeened Ireland Engineering rocker arms

Titanium retainers and double valve springs (IE)

E12 head polished and match ported to A4 injection.

Aluminum flywheel.

Baffled oil pan.

Cutting ring head gasket and high strength head studs.

standard.jpg

View of head studs.

standard.jpg

Modification of oil pan by 2002 Haus

standard.jpg

Installed engine with Alpina A4 injection.

standard.jpg

MDS with rev limiter - set at 7k rpm.

standard.jpg

Red Bosch coil and Pertronic electronic ignition.

standard.jpg

Aluminum flywheel and upgraded E30 325 pressure plate.

standard.jpg

Z4 3.0 short shift (on the left)

standard.jpg

Ergonomic shift knob and Blaupunkt ACD 2900 CD stereo

standard.jpg

Supersprint 4-2-1 header

standard.jpg

IE SS exhaust

standard.jpg

5 speed O.D. with 2002 Haus conversion kit.

standard.jpg

Quaife torque biased LSD

standard.jpg

CF Hood and deck lid

standard.jpg

Bacchus stance: 15X7 Zender alloy wheels, stage 1 IE springs, HD Bilsteins, Suspension Technique 19/22 sway bars. Urethane suspension bushings, Zender air dam, and big brake (front) conversion.

standard.jpg

TEP battery relocation and rear strut brace. Quick disconnect for possitive cable connector (a must on these cars).

standard.jpg

Scheels sports seats

standard.jpg

Bacchus with angel ring Hella driving lights and rear short bumper (from a 1970 02)

standard.jpg

Thanks in advance for your comments - it has been a long journey, not alwalys smooth or wise (translation: I have too done stupid things to the car)

I"ll respond to questions and comments at the end of the blog.

What are your plans now? Are you going to redo the body work or is that the silver Alpina?

I have some extra gages, a third brake light and a trumpet horn that I want to install. Once the silver Alpina is re-painted, maybe I will consider repainting Bacchus. The paint still decent and I would hate to be without my car, so I don't see that in the near future.

FAQ Member # 91

• 2 months later...

Michael, Bacchus has a twin sister (2761367) and her name is Beate(pron. Beata).

She just moved to Canada from Texas and met some very nice people along the way, Escpecially, Bruce W. from Kansas City who found Beate, a service hospital for some driveshaft and wheel bearing work.

Dr. Tim at Kansas City Autosport, took good care of her and had her purring all the way home.

Have Fun

kevin

Michael, Bacchus has a twin sister (2761367) and her name is Beate(pron. Beata).

She just moved to Canada from Texas and met some very nice people along the way, Escpecially, Bruce W. from Kansas City who found Beate, a service hospital for some driveshaft and wheel bearing work.

Dr. Tim at Kansas City Autosport, took good care of her and had her purring all the way home.

Have Fun

kevin

Bacchus has always had a soul, even before the A4, I bet his sister does too, and yes Malaga is a great color too.

FAQ Member # 91