• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii (Alpina)

dubois

This blog will document the history and the refurbishment of my other tii.

standard.jpg

The Alpina, as it appeared in European Car magazine (1991). I purchased the car in 2002 and have not altered in any way. I finally decided to embark on a complete paint job and refurbishment of some of the items for aesthetic reasons. My goal is to retain that vintage look and maintain its originality - which I define as the way it look back in 2002.

standard.jpg

Process starts in Jan. 2007. First the easy stuff, a couple of minor dents on the hood.

standard.jpg

All (4) Campignolo wheels plus two spares were sanded, primered and refinished with a vintage gray metallic, semi gloss clear. A wheel is shown with polished lip - an experiment that didn't quite work out.

standard.jpg

Finished wheels. Campignolo Elecktron Zero offset, 13X7, 11 lbs.

standard.jpg

New OEM spare tire panel. Original panel showed its age with several pin holes and cracks.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

FAQ Member # 91

What month was it featured? I have a bunch of old issues and it would be great to read about your newest project.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

• 4 months later...

Geez Michael. I just wish I could get one of mine looking as good as yours did PRE-REFURBISHMENT!

Take care with those "new" door handle seals; tighten down too hard and you cut the middle right out of them. I think the original (old stock) ones were thicker?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hello Dubois, I was trying to find you and your Alpina over on Roadfly 2002 message board http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/2002/8596401-1.html for a long time friend who is the daughter of the original owner. She would have some history on the car in its early days and I can get you her contact info if you like. The car is looking good and nice resto job on it!

2o=00=o2 (Mike)

Hello Dubois, I was trying to find you and your Alpina over on Roadfly 2002 message board http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/2002/8596401-1.html for a long time friend who is the daughter of the original owner. She would have some history on the car in its early days and I can get you her contact info if you like. The car is looking good and nice resto job on it!

2o=00=o2 (Mike)

Absolutely, yes. She must be Mr. Jack Cavanaugh's daughter! Please, forward any info to hollisterab at hotmail dot com.

FAQ Member # 91

• 6 months later...
Absolutely beauteous!

In my dreams.....

One thing- i don't think the sunroof cars use these:

standard.jpg

i'll second that notion, having read the parts book (paper not electronic!) the sunroof cars are supposed to have solid rubber plugs filling the side trunk holes that are vented with the tube shown on non-sunroof cars. Part is NLA

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe