• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shaking my head at what i found on an engine rehab

jerry

i have an engine that the PO said was rebuilt approximately 25,000 miles ago. i've only driven it once and it seemed strong. however, it was very oily for such a young engine. i decided to replace all gaskets and have a look-see. it's not all bad, but there are some things i thought i'd share. i've learned enough from this board that i am starting to recognize proper placement of items.

one question: i was planning to return this engine to a single-barrel Solex carb as it was originally configured. however, the PO installed an E12 head with high-compression pistons and a Weber carb. with those high-compression pistons, will the single-barrel Solex be up to the task? i don't want to go to the effort of pulling pistons out.

post-260-13667575579284_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667575581594_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667575584144_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667575586386_thumb.jpg

post-260-136675755888_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Check the cam for numbers. If the cam is anything but stock, you will need at least a 32/36 DCD carb to feed it - possibly even the DCOEs. A single barrell will not flow enough air to feed the engine.