• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwarz 74’ Restoration – “Blacky”

oz_tom

Well, here’s the story so far……

3 years ago I decided I wanted to restore a car and for it to be my first car. It also was to be a father-son project and something where I could learn about the workings of a car and how they are put together. At the end of the project, I aimed to have a nice daily driver 2002.

I pretty much knew straight away that I wanted a BMW but wasn’t sure which one I should choose. At the time the options open to me were an E21 3 Series, E12 5 Series or a 2002 – all of these being in my price bracket. Though I am a huge fan of the E12 shape, it wasn’t a car I saw myself driving as spiritedly and having as much fun in as a 2 door coupe. The 2002 eventually won out over the E21 purely because of the cars character (of which it has spades of!) and the fact my father had a 74 tii some 15 or so years earlier.

After only about a week of searching, I came upon what is now known as “Blacky” – an original Schwarz Black 74’ 2002 or 4200440 which I believe makes it the 440th RHD square taillight produced. It was pretty much a case of love at first sight. Instantly I wanted the car. After looking around, it became apparent the car was structurally sound but had rust in some of the usual trouble spots such as doors, floors, etc. The engine wasn’t in great condition and needed new valve guides but at the time wasn’t blowing copious amounts of smoke. A few days later, the car was ours and I was stoked!

I later found out that it’s actually a Euro Spec 2002– once I had boned up on the 02 lingo. According to the previous owner, the car initially lived in Ireland before an RAAF pilot in the Air Force brought it over to Australia. He drove it for many years before passing it onto a lady. It then somehow ended up in a scrap yard where the owner decided it was too good to scrap (Thank God!). He sold it to the previous owner who took care of it well and was a member of the BMW Car Club. He then sold it to us.

Once we transported the car back to our place, the teardown began and we assessed the rust more closely. We also decided that we had to restore Blacky on a tight budget so that meant that much of the work which we would prefer to get done by professionals; we did ourselves (which was a great learning curve!)

Over a period of the next 3 years, the following has taken place:

• The teardown

• Taking the car back to metal

• Rust repaired

• Resprayed

… and we are currently in the re-construction stage.

Now 3 years may seem like a long time but during this time, other projects have popped up like “Bluey” – a 73tii and “Whitey” – a 72ti(-i) so Blacky was put on the backburner.

As time went on, we acquired some nice parts for Blacky, like E21 Recaros (which are rare as hen’s teeth in Oz), a full Ti carb/airbox setup (imported from Germany) and a 2002 Turbo steering wheel. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to have kept the Ti setup, it was not economical for me as a daily driver so I sold it to a worthy fellow in the US and fellow Faqer (though not on here much anymore) in favour of a reco 32/36 downdraft carb (Thanks Andrew!)

The engine was in need of some work so the options were to either recondition the current one or buy another good one. The solution came in a car known as “Auto”. One day I decided to give our local Pick’a’part a call to see if they had any 2002’s. I knew it was a long shot but weirder things have happened. It turned out they didn’t have any in. About a week later I get a call saying they have just got one so we jump in the car and head down to check it out. There sat a 74’ Auto. Again a structurally sound car, pretty much only needing a front nose clip and some touch ups to be ‘rust free’. No prior history came with the car but a clue to its previous owners came in the form of a sticker of a workshop on the rear window. We called up the shop and it turned out the engine had been rebuilt only 10,000km’s ago! SCORE! We agreed to pay the $500 for the car and they handed over the key…er…wait a sec…screwdriver. The car didn’t come with a key so the ignition barrel had been busted and a screwdriver was used instead. This made life interesting, especially on the way home when going around a corner, the steering locked!

‘Auto’ paid for itself almost straight away when the diff went in ‘Bluey’, however we also used the good doors, trim pieces and the engine I mentioned before.

The Faq has been a great inspiration to me in keeping on pushing ahead with this project and I have met some awesome people (or some I haven’t even actually met in person yet!) who have offered me support and helped me through the tough parts of the restoration. Whether it be just well wishes, information or hands on help – Thanks guys – You know who you are and I am forever thankful.

Currently, Blacky is sitting in the garage, painted and partially re-constructed, waiting for the engine to be dropped back in this weekend. Fingers crossed the car will be on the road in 1 month – at the latest, 2!

Now for the photos!...

usandMarkandShaunstraightsmallsize.jpg

usandMarkcorneringsmallsize.jpg

tiibmw-greatoceanroadrunlookout.jpg

First of all… heres “Bluey” and “Whitey” – The reasons why Blacky isn’t finished!

meanddad02tiipolaris.jpg

My father and I a long time ago in his 74tii

Now for Blacky…

daybought1.jpg

daybought.jpg

The day Blacky was bought

DSCN0642.jpg

As the car sat after most of its deconstruction.

floorslargeshot.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

Before the rust repairds..

DSCN0988.jpg

DSCN0985.jpg

DSCN0990.jpg

Rust repair was the next issue we had to tackle. As neither myself nor my father can weld, we ended up getting a professional to do this.

DSCN1037.jpg

The car was high filled… twice. First time was too ‘polished’

DSCN1559.jpg

DSCN1573.jpg

…then primed. After primer was applied, many months of sanding followed.

DSCN1695.jpg

DSCN1692.jpg

DSCN1690.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

The car was finally painted late last year and the re-construction could begin!

DSCN2158.jpg

First we needed some parts from W&N…

untitled.jpg

The engine coming out of Auto late last year..

DSCN2184.jpg

DSCN2183.jpg

Now all painted, polished and looking pretty

DSCN1700.jpg

The freshly recovered dashboard

DSCN1732.jpg

Short style rear bumper with bumper covers, not over riders

DSCN2189.jpg

Reco heaterbox reinforced at the stressed areas

DSCN2190.jpg

Shifter redone using Nolathane parts – Should solve the sloppy shifter problem for a long time!

DSCN0666.jpg

DSCN2182.jpg

The Recaros – Before & After

DSCN1320.jpg

14” Superlites

DSCN0928.jpg

The Ti setup before we sold it…

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN2175.jpg

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN1749PS.jpg

DSCN2159.jpg

How Backys looking now…

• Dashboard in

• Carpet underlay & temporary carpet in

• All glass in

• Heaterbox in

• Speakers in

• NEXT: The engine!

Stay tuned! More to come!

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew, haha... there will be plenty more 'moil' on it in the future i assure you! By the way, are you coming down for the BMW Car Clubs Nationals?

Todd, No probs mate - Let me know your movements.

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

so witch 1 you going to let me use ,when I come to Auss? I dont have a color preference.hahaJust the 1 that can get me to the surf breaks the fastest. aloha

We'll bang on the roof racks and head down to the GOR Culpy! Many spots along that section of coast!

gorjuly0602.jpg

gorjuly06.jpg

Photos taken by Todd(TMK) on one of our GOR runs...

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Update for the weekend...

Turned out I had the wrong clutch for the flywheel - (yay)... So Beaner7102 (Shaun) kindly swapped my flywheel for the one that was in his car... even though he gave me the one that didnt fit for free! Did someone say top bloke!

The flywheel is currently being machined to clean it up a bit and the engine should be going in THIS weekend... fingers crossed for no more delays...

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Are top-articulated pedals standard on RHD cars, or is that a conversion you're running there?

I love the red tail-lights (think ive said that before) I just need to build up the nerve to try that myself!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

H Krix, its a standard thing for RHD cars. Regarding the lights, im sure you'll be able to find a cheap set somewhere to try it on. I like the look too :-)

Harry, it will be similar to yours when done, but with Superlites. Yours has been great inspiration. Id love your Italians though!!!

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky