• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwarz 74’ Restoration – “Blacky”

oz_tom

Oh, and thats a temporary carpet for the time being.

Have you thought about getting some navy-blue SEM dye and just spraying the carpet back to blue, also for the time being? (or black, i'm not sure what direction you want to go with it)

I remember using that on some faded cocoa mats a long time ago, brought them back pretty nicely. Even though it is a temp thing, it would probably look a little better than what you've got. Not knocking you, but everything else looks so clean, it just seems like a crime to toss that old carpet back in!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and thats a temporary carpet for the time being.

Have you thought about getting some navy-blue SEM dye and just spraying the carpet back to blue, also for the time being? (or black, i'm not sure what direction you want to go with it)

I remember using that on some faded cocoa mats a long time ago, brought them back pretty nicely. Even though it is a temp thing, it would probably look a little better than what you've got. Not knocking you, but everything else looks so clean, it just seems like a crime to toss that old carpet back in!

Couldnt agree with you more! I put it in mainly as a 'get the car on the road ASAP' thing and i totally agree it looks horrible. I was just going to cover it with some blue floor matts until a new carpet went in. I bought some carpet dye a little while ago but it required soaking. The SEM dye sounds a heap better if its just spray on - ill give it a go - Thanks! Its amazing how much the sun has bleeched it over time!

The plans for carpet are to go black and then on a set of leather shift and handbrake (e-brake) boots have blue stitching.

Thanks for the input H_Krix,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last week or so ive finished installing the knee line and beltline trim (using stainless steel hardware where needed of course), fixed up that grill that wasnt lining up right, repainted the valve cover so it looked nice again and found some nice chrome dome nuts to go on the top, put on the front bumper bar, installed the seat belts, instrument cluster (twice - the needle snapped on the speedo because i was going so fast! :-P), rear seat and front seats - moving along nicely!

A while ago Shaun had made a console plate for me and this weekend I got to work on that, covering it with vinyl and making it mount correctly. Im stoked with how it turned out. The flash of the camera brings out the creases in the vinyl which is a bit deceptive as they arent really all that big at all - it looks much better in person!

I also took up H_Krix's advice and sprayed the carpet with some stuff similar to SEM spray. I just cleaned up the sun bleeched areas around below the console and the areas that wouldnt be covered by floor mats. It looks a million times better and im 100% glad I did it so a big thankyou to H_Krix!

DSCN2233.jpg

I think it needs a good lowering!

DSCN2234.jpg

DSCN2231.jpg

DSCN2232.jpg

DSCN2230.jpg

DSCN2229.jpg

DSCN2235.jpg

DSCN2236.jpg

Static timings been set so hopefully we'll start her up next week! Keep your fingers crossed she'll start first time for me guys! :-P

Cheers,

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Hey Tom, where did you get that spray-on carpet dye? Sounds like a good idea to tide me over until I get new carpet eventually. Does it look anything like original carpet or can you easily tell its been dyed?

Blacky's looking magnificent, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, tearing up the streets of Surrey Hills and beyond...

BTW I really like those console gauges.

- Sam.

Thanks fellas for the comments!

Sam, i cant remember exactly what it was called but my dad might remember so ill send you an email later about it. The gauges are a couple of Smiths ones off ebay - plenty on there but this set we got, the seller didnt even include 'Smiths' in the title of his auction so we got them dirt cheap. Ill be done soon and we'll all get together for a cruise down to the Grear Ocean Rd ;-)

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 3 weeks later...

Havnt updated for a while as there was a few problems getting the car started but now the problems are fixed and she started for the first time in 3 years! (Well, one year for the engine, 3 years for the body :-P).

The reason for the no start was that the alarm system that was previously installed was tapped into the starter so an auto electrician came out and took that out. We then had the problem of the timing being out 180 degrees and a few wires at the coil being plugged in wrong. The auto electrician fixed this right up and is coming back out next weekend just to tidy up a few things - great bloke and highly recomend to any of the guys in Oz needing some electrical work done - he will come to you for free (assuming your pretty close) and charge less than the shop he actually works at.

Also got a new cap, condenser and points but condenser was the wrong one so ill need to get a new one. The one i had was working fine but its more of a preventitive maintenance measure.

Another interesting happening over the last couple of weeks is that the return spring on the clutch pedal broke in half which was realised after installing the heaterbox. So out came the heaterbox & glovebox while the spring was replaced - very annoying!

Other things that have gone on include the bonnet (ok, hood to all you Americans!) but havnt lined it up properly yet, door sill covers, MB door brakes and door panels.

DSCN2242.jpg

DSCN2243.jpg

The carpet shows up a lot lighter than it actually is... Also, thanks Shaun for shortening the arms on the door brakes.

Stuff left to do:

- Replace condenser

- Brake fluid

- Install head unit

- Get road worthy certificate

- Register the car...

- DRIVE!

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Nice one mate! It all must be getting very exciting!!

Keep up the good work, looking forward to catching up with you soon for a spin!

May 26th too soon?

Sounds good - I might cruise down with Bill and we can take a few 'release photos' :-P... Ive got exams coming up so im thinking ill organise the drive earlyish June - Will you be around then?

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up bleeding the brakes and they are nice and firm. Console is in and the stereo works great - loud, clear and not too thumpy - just the way i like it.

After having some problems with the afternarket exhaust the PO installed hitting various things and making a racket, its finally alligned properly and we took it for a drive around the block. Great news is it pulls hard and there is no smoke. Best.

Only a few little things to fix and do now:

- no idicators yet

- possibly a faulty fuel sender unit

- the wheels are rubbing on the fender up the front (doh!)

- adjust the hood

- Get a RWC & register the car.

Will get some pics up soon!

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky