• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stop lights problem

Anjin

Hi everyone:

I am an young enthusiast of the '02s. Recently I have aquired a second one with a manual transmission that has developped a problem (or it was an old one, i just now noticed it). Apparently the break tail lights stay on for as long as the car is running. The bulbs produse enough heat to start melting the plastic devider. I have since taken the Tail Lights out and completely recondicioned them with chrome paint over the black plastic.

I have the Haynes manual but I can not find anything about a Break tail light switch or pedal breaker. If anyone of you more seasoned vets can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

My $ spending is only beginning but I do not want to spend big bucks on rewireing the lights just yet.

Thank you in advance.

Check the switch behind the brake booster in your engine bay. See if its suck or moving freely. This switch controls the brake lights and I think is inexpensive if it is broken. You can also adjust it back and forth alittle to see if thats the problem.

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

unplug the wires from the brake light switch, decribed above while the brake lights are on...if they go off, it's the switch...try a little lube on the button...it looks like the button inside the door that controls the dome light...

mine was stuck causing the same problem...it's easy to adjust, if it's out of whack

Where the stop light switch is located atop the brake booster; make sure the release button is against that end of its mounting place, if it's not, then the brake lights will stay on. The button end needs to be just a bit away when you press the brake pedal, therefore, releasing it from where it rests against. The brake lights go on when that button end is released and go off when that black button is against its spot atop the booster. That end does gummed up every now and then ( more often with the '75 and '76 2002's, as the washer bottle is above the stop switch and if washer fluid leaks or is spilled onto the switch, it can make that release button end stick ) so try some penetrating lubricant on it and as mentioned, it can be adjusted so it works properly.

Tim

'69 2000