• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple repair = CONFUSION

skinnyd

I'm replacing my alternator w/ a new one ('72 2002).

BavAuto sent me 6 bushings: 2 metal, 2 small urethane and 2 large urethane.

I see that the metal bushings go in the "bottom" of the slide rail, but where the hell do the urethane bushings go???

It seems to me that they are for replacing the ones that come in the alternator???

Can someone help?

Thanks heaps!

post-2121-13667575815708_thumb.jpg

2008 135i

1972 2002 Sold

1968 2002ti (no longer w/ us)

Sorry, new to this.

why didn't my message show up?

ANyway, replacing alternatorw/ new one.

got 6 bushings w/ it.

2 metal, 2 lg urethane, 2 sm urethane

where do the urethane ones go???

are they just replacements for the ones already INSIDE the alternator?

PLease help!

Thanks heaps in advance.

2008 135i

1972 2002 Sold

1968 2002ti (no longer w/ us)

yes, the bushings are intended to replace the old ones. if the old ones have been in there for any length of time, you will most likely have to scrape them out with something like a screwdriver. The OEM bushings start to decompose and turn to mush. just get all the pieces out and put the new ones in. hope this helps.

I think the problem is that he also bought a new alternator, and it came with new rubber bushings already installed.

The same thing happened to me before, when I had a set of urethane bushings setting nearby. Urethane is more rigid and will last much longer, and hold up to oil and such. So yeah, I beat out the new rubber bushings from my new alternator, and put in the urethane ones.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

NO - REALLY! remove the rubber bushings now because they

really do soften and melt quickly - causing the alternator to tilt.

Do it once now - and forget about it - and have a healthy charging / cooling systems.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

my bracket looks just like the one shown, too. it was so bad it wore the aluminum mount on the lower timing cover down. i removed the stud, filed the mount level and epoxied two bronze washers to make up the lost material. it's gotta be better than what i started with.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Hey! It took me 20 years to figure this out:

The slider bracket is SUPPOSED to have a slight, ever so faint "kink" in it. If you buy a new one - you'll see what I mean. I'm sure I've mistakenly "straightened" them in the past. Now I know better. Learn from my doofusness.

Install of 'thane bushings as follows:

remove snapring (if present), flat metal thin washer - then black bushings/tube, etc.

For reinstall - you *might* not be able to easily install the washer and snap ring (the euro-thane ones are REAL stiff - and I swear - a bit longer!)

You have two options: take one to a grinding wheel and GENTLY shave it's height down - or install sans washer or snapring. I recommend shaving the bushing (and in case you're wondering: Yes! I'm resisting the urge to turn that into something sexual...trust me!)

paul