• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are the rear 1/4 window rubber gaskets supposed to be cut

jerry

to fit? i got one side installed and i literally had to scrunch it up to make it fit the entire length. unfortunately, this created some curling of the weatherstripping which i fear will allow moisture in.

can i expect this rubber seal to shrink when it hits the sunlight after a while?

i have seen gaps in this weatherstripping on older cars which i'm sure lead to the dreaded rust streaks where the water hits the trim rivets.

the other side, btw, seems about an inch longer than needed.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Yes....but:

I seem to recall trimming about 2 inches (!) from them a few years ago...maybe one inch...can't remember.

Here's the important thing:

Rubber seals WILL shrink a bit. I make sure to cut any new rubber seal (when required on ANY car I'm restoring) a little bit long - to allow for shrinkage. I'd keep that in mind when fitting. Your mileage may vary...

fun to install, too - yes? My hands hurt just THINKING about that job.

Paul

[quote name="

fun to install' date=' too - yes? My hands hurt just THINKING about that job.

Paul[/quote]

you know, i dreaded this job because of the memory i had of it when i last did it a dozen years ago, however, i tried a new technique and it wasn't bad at all.

first thing i did was to remove the vinyl u-channel trim along the headliner. i started at the bottom of the c-pillar and wedged the rubber edge under the metal lip. i had both a bamboo paint stirrer and metal spatula to coax any stubborn section, but it really did go in the channel fairly easy.

on the first gasket i used glycerine to ease the installation but did not use it on the second one and it went in just fine.

i haven't cut to fit and the curling of the gasket looks terrible. i might take a half inch off or so.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa