• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear window seal installation

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm just wrapping up a headliner replacment and I removed the rear window seals to get the headliner glued in place. Now I can't get them back in. Is there any trick? They have to "hook" in place around the metal lip, but it's a really tight fit.

On another note... The new headliner makes the interior look like a million bucks and wasn't as hard as I thought! Pics to come.

I couldnt quite tell if you meant the rear quarter window seal or the actual rear window... so...

Rear window: I assume you've got the rear window out at the same time too? Get a piece of rope thick enough to thread between the inside lip of the seal and wrap it all the way around the seal. With a helper, lower the window in place around teh frame. Get inside the car and pull the rope bit by bit while your helper is pushing on the window and the lip of the seal will get over the window frame lip. Remember to use sealer around the metal lip!

Rear Quarter Window seal: Shocking job to do! Pretty much a matter of using the handle of a spoon and pushing it in. Keep plugging away... may take a while.

Hope this actually answers your question...

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Guest Anonymous

This does help! I'll get the spoon out tomorrow. As for the rear windscreen... That wasn't what I was asking, but you brought up something about sealant around the metal edge? I didn't see any when I pulled the rear or the front windscreens out, I was under the assumption that both windows were sealant free. Are you shure about that?

Well... I used some sealing type stuff - i cant remember exactly what its called. I couldnt see it doing any damage.

Also, with the quarter window seal, some people have found its easier to get in with a lubricant.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

i was getting ready to post a new topic on this, but your's is perfect and timely too.

anyhow, i used an aftermarket seal on my rear window and contrary to some comments on aftermarket seals, my experience was positive and installation was no less difficult than with OEM seal.

i did wrap the windshield with the seal and let it sit for a week, if that helped it preform or not i'm not sure.

i used thick nylon twine and two sticks (for pulling) and swabbed with glycerine. i did not swab the rubber seal with glycerine this time as i felt the twine was slippery enough from the previous use on the front windshield.

i won't say it dropped right in, but with some thoughtful working and coaxing it installed beautifully.

now for the best part: installing the chrome strip. i generally dread this job but decided to try something new. i soaked the chrome strip in hot water to soften it slightly. while it was soaking i thoroughly worked glycerine in the rubber groove with the end of a disposible paint brush. the angle of the handle was perfect. i merely dipped the end in my bottle of glycerine and worked it till it slid smoothly. what a difference this made.

installing the chrome strip was almost effortless using the installation tool. i installed it singlehandedly for about 80% of the length asking my brother to hold the tool only so i could reposition myself.

my windshield is tight and i did not see a need to use sealing compound on it. i've seen many 02s without sealant and i'm confident this will hold up as long as the rubber stays pliable. i did use sealant on my front windshield btw.

post-260-13667575859332_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667575861259_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

• 1 year later...

I've just recently been putting the seals in for the rear windows - I didn't buy these myself so can't verify the part number. Anyway my question is should the main part of the seal go all the way round the window or are you supposed to trim it where it joins the door pilar seal? At the moment it looks like it could go all the way round but there's not much room with the other part of the window seal. Whether the other part is supposed to tuck behind some part of interior trim I don't know as Idon't have any interior!