• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jet hot or airborne coatings?

BLUNT

anyone ever use either of these outfits? im getting ready to send my header off and would appreciate your experiences with either of these 2 outfits or anyone else youve used.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Jet-Hot is a top-notch outfit. If you ask for an estimate from their website, you'll likely get a 10% off coupon. Their Sterling finish is the best deal -- it was $150 to coat a six cylinder M30 Stahl header a couple of years ago. The whole affair took a week, including shipping, and they even called me after blasting it (it was a used header) to ask if I wanted a thin spot/pinhole welded -- and they didn't charge for it. It came back looking like a million bucks.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Jet Hot on the driver still looks good after four years of many miles.

Airbourne is the new outfit, it is my understanding that the owner of Jet Hot found the new technique, Airborne uses, and sold the Jet Hot business to open the Airborne business.

I asked Airborn not to polish the header and downpipe on the touring so it would look more like aluminum than chrome.

The header and downpipe on the new Pikachu is going to Airborne in Charlotte, NC.

If I were to use Jet Hot, I would sent it to the Mississippi plant and not a franchise unit.

When I used Jet Hot, they returned my downpipe and a Chevy header. With one call they straightened it out and had my header to me in a week, they had digital pictures of what I sent them and it made it easy for them to trace and find it.

Motor4-13k.jpg

Jet Hot

24April4.jpg

Airbourne (not polished)

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

thanks bill. question, does jethot polish as a rule?? im using a used stock s14 header and im not sure if i want it more dull or polished. initially id think dull so its less flashy. my question is should i request either outfit doesnt polish if thats what im after.??i guess i can ask them when i send it in too. i didnt know polishing was a part of the deal.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I have been told that the polishing (dumped in a vat of vibrating ceramic balls) helps strengthin the ceramic coating, kinda like shot peening.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I have been told that the polishing (dumped in a vat of vibrating ceramic balls) helps strengthin the ceramic coating, kinda like shot peening.

John

oooohhh vibrating ceramic balls is the way im going

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

FWIW, these coatings being shown in the photos appear very similar to what is used on aeroengine components and is referred to as Sermetel coating. it's a sprayed aluminum coating contained within a binder and is allowed to dry then baked at about 400F.

it is polished by simply using No.13 glass bead in a typical sandblast cabinet. it's pretty durable stuff and when it's dull it can be repolished simply by reblasting it with glass beads (fancy form of sand). it's applied to compressor cases on the larger engines and some helicopter operators like to apply it to the visible portions of the engine for show.

Alseal is another variant that we use in-house. i was fortunate to slip a whole set of M10 aluminum bits through the paint shop for coating. someday, someday....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

oooohhh vibrating ceramic balls is the way im going

Yea... I asked if I could stick my hand in there. He said go ahead but watch your wedding ring! He said it comes out real shiney and it takes it of your hand without you knowing!.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades